This is what happens when you allow these people to get into politics with your own political agenda from back home.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_017221526.html

Save | E-mail | Print
Jan 18, 2007 12:02 am US/Eastern

Cuban Group Calls For Rudy Crew To Resign
(CBS4) MIAMI The fight to take a controversial children’s travel book on Cuba the shelves of Miami-Dade County Public Schools has one group of Cuban exiles crying racism against Superintendent Rudy Crew, and they want him removed from his post.

The debate got heated at the Miami-Dade County School Board meeting Wednesday night, with a group asking for the resignation of Crew, calling him a racist. Another group however, acuses long-time Crew rival and school board member Marta Perez of being the racist.

The group signed a letter asking for Crew’s resignation, after he did not lend his support to remove the book from school library shelves last year. The exiles say the book paints an inaccurate rosy picture of Cuba. Last year was filled with back-and-forth arguing between school board members and parents who wanted the book removed from school shelves. The fight even reached the legal system, with a court ruling that the book should be put back on shelves.

However, some supporters of Crew in the audience, mostly black, cried of reverse racism in this case. The Reverend Richard Dunn, a community activist and supporter of Crew suspected racism was the real issue against Crew.

“I pray for the day when an intelligent, brilliant ,charismatic, achieving, African-American male in this town can be respected and not tampered with, simply because of the color of his skin,” said Dunn. "I pray to God Ms. Perez that's not your mission."

Crew did not stick around for the whole meeting and left before the we could ask him questions, but Perez did defend herself, saying she is not a racist.

"I know it's terrible, but I guess when you're a public official people don't agree with you and say things like that, and that couldn't be farther from the truth."

This is not the first time that allegations of racism plague school board members and politicians. Former Florida Representative Ralph Arza recently resigned amidst allegations of racist remarks against Crew. To read more about this story CLICK HERE.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)