A CULTURE IN CRISIS

By Betty Freauf
June 5, 2010
NewsWithViews.com

Over the past few years, we’ve seen an attempt to restore civility to our nation since all the civil unrest of the sixties but it’s really run amok. Besides the latest never-ending stories about the Gulf oil catastrophe, which some quietly wonder if terrorism wasn’t involved, it seems every day on the news some event hits the headlines or is on YouTube. One of latest was the story on FOX about young 13-year old Isaiah Reagins being slapped around by a 40-year old female teacher. Both Isaiah and the teacher, Sherry Lynn Davis, are black so the ACLU can’t yell discrimination. However, white Houston attorneys Brant Stogner and Randy Sorrels were at Isaiah’s side during the FOX interview. The teacher has been fired.

I understand the school in which the lad was enrolled was a Charter School for troubled youth but as I saw the female teacher physically attacking him, am I the only one who would dare question whether the female teacher would have disciplined the young lad in that way had she been wearing a dress, nylons, and dress shoes instead of hip-hugging jeans being held up by a decorative costume-jeweled belt and in tennis shoes? Would she have demanded more respect in a dress or would such a school only have hired male teachers?

Later I saw Florida teachers at the Bloomingdale High School in Valrico making videos titled “We aren’t going to take it any more.â€