Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Customers, co-workers, company step up to help 'amazing man'

Customers, co-workers, company step up to help 'amazing man'

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com
    Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article
    View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site
    YouNewsTV YouNewsTVâ„¢

Story Published: May 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM PDT

Story Updated: May 29, 2008 at 9:13 AM PDT
    By Michelle Esteban
    Video
    This story comes courtesy of our sister station KOMO in Seattle.

REDMOND, Wash. - It will take thousands of dollars and several surgeries to reconstruct a local man's face.

James O'Neal compares himself to the Elephant Man. A genetic disease left his face horribly disfigured, but that could soon change.

O'Neal knows his deformity shocks people. He knows others with the same genetic disorder would rather hide than work, but for 7 years James has proudly worked the registers at the Kingsgate Safeway on 124th Avenue NE in Kirkland, Wash.

"I just tell people this is who I am, it's the way I am. If you don't like me, you don't like me," he said.

His customers don't like him - they love him.

"He is an amazing man and we love him. He's the kind of person that makes your day," said customer Aubrey Richins.

"I really love James," said shopper Katie Knopf.

All of them say they were stunned at first when they saw his disfigured face.

"I have to admit I was a little taken back, but when I walked through his line I felt this spirit come over me, this man is out here, not hiding," said long-time customer Cindy Peay.

Every shopper said the same thing: O'Neal is an inspiration. If that wasn't enough, he's lightning-fast on the register.

Knopf has put her money where her mouth is.

"We want to change his life," she said.

She knows O'Neal's insurance likely won't cover all of the costs of difficult and extensive surgeries. So she's launched a Web site asking for donations for reconstructive surgery.

Knopf also got Kinkos to donate 1,000 fliers and plans to distribute them to local schools and at the registers at the Kingsgate Safeway.

Her generous heart tugged on Safeway's heartstrings. The grocer decided to kick in the first $10,000 for his surgeries.

"James is our employee, he is one of us and we absolutely think the world of him," said Cherie Myers, Safeway's director of public and government affairs. "This is just a bonus, this our bonus to him. He never asked for it, he's never said 'woe is me.' He's proud to be who he is."

That's why customers flock to him. Knopf says she'll stand in line just to have him ring her up.

"James will always be the person he is inside. I'm hoping with this he'll have a new lease on life," said Knopf. She hopes to raise $50,000, but guesses the costs could add up to be much more.

"It makes me feel honored and proud," said O'Neal, who was stunned to learn his employer is not only kicking in $10,000, but is committed to helping him navigate through all the insurance paperwork.

O'Neal has lived with his disability since birth. Like the Elephant Man he has neurofibromatosis, not elephantiasis. The tumors stopped growing when he stopped growing. Surgery would rid him of the deformity for good.

"I think it's amazing what they want to do for me," he said. And it's clear they're doing it because of what O'Neal has done for them.

In July, Safeway stores in four states will kick off a three-week Canister Campaign, collecting donations to help O'Neal. Those who want to contribute can also donate online through KOMO News.

KOMO will continue to follow O'Neal's progress with updated reports.

http://www.katu.com/news/19354234.html

Admin Note - Secure Online Donation Page Here (hosted by KOMO TV)
    https://paytrace.com/cart/donate.pay?ID ... D=Donation
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with illegal immigration, immigration in general, etc. But...

Every once in a while, when there is a simple need that could easily benefit from our input or action - an action that costs us virtually nothing (well, minus any contributions that might be made...) - I figured there is no good reason NOT to include mention of this man and the efforts to improve his life.

I realize many of us are financially stressed at the moment. For those that can afford a contribution, please do consider doing such thing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Yes, I know this has nothing to do with illegal immigration, immigration in general, etc. But...

Every once in a while, when there is a simple need that could easily benefit from our input or action - an action that costs us virtually nothing (well, minus any contributions that might be made...) - I figured there is no good reason NOT to include mention of this man and the efforts to improve his life.

I realize many of us are financially stressed at the moment. For those that can afford a contribution, please do consider doing such thing.

Thank You for posting this one PhredE! If we can do nothing more than take a moment and pass this story (and links) along to others it could make a real difference in this man's life.

Wonderful story of a fine person . I wish him all the luck in the World and God Speed on the donations . Really kinda mind blowing in the respect of "Could i handle that ?" only God knows i guess
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by florgal
    Quote Originally Posted by PhredE

Thank You for posting this one PhredE! If we can do nothing more than take a moment and pass this story (and links) along to others it could make a real difference in this man's life.
    My thoughts exactly. The more the publicity, the more likely to gain some donations. It is totally painless for us. Why not?

AE

PhredE, good story, keep us updated on his progress.

I cannot imagine that if it were me, how I might handle it, it would be very difficult and it is amazing that he is determined to live normal. Thank goodness he is in the day and age where peoples minds are open and receptive to him, otherwise he would have been relegated to a life behind closed doors.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€