Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

D.C. vote plan called 'unconstitutional'

D.C. vote plan called 'unconstitutional'
    Supporters vow to continue fight after Senate hurdle halts proposal
    Posted: September 20, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Republican lawmakers in the U.S. Senate have blocked a proposal that was intended to provide a congressional vote for the District of Columbia, and White House spokeswoman Dana Perino says the president believes that was the right thing to do.

The rejection came on a motion simply to consider the plan. Fifty-seven senators agreed, but that remained three short of the needed 60. The bill now is expected to stall for at least this year and possibly next.

Perino's response came on a question from Les Kinsolving, WND's correspondent at the White House.

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said of the failed effort to give D.C. a full vote in the House, 'It is clearly unambiguously unconstitutional.' And my question: The president agrees with Senator McConnell, doesn't he?" Kinsolving asked.

(Story continues below)

"We believe that Senate Bill 1257 was unconstitutional," Perino said.

The compromise plan would have expanded the U.S. House by two seats: one for the Democratic District of Columbia, and the other for the next state in line to add a seat, currently Utah, which is heavily Republican.

McConnell, R-Ky., and the White House both have maintained because the District is not a state, the bill violates the constitutional requirement that House members be chosen by the "people of the several states."

"I opposed this bill because it is clearly and unambiguously unconstitutional," McConnell said in a statement. "If the residents of the District are to get a member for themselves, they have a remedy: amend the Constitution."

The vote was the first time the full Senate had considered the D.C. voting rights issue since 1978, when it passed a constitutional amendment to give the District voting representatives in the House and Senate. That plan died seven years later after getting approval from only 16 states. It needed 38.

In a followup, Kinsolving asked whether the White House knew of any similar effort by supporters of the plan to provide a House seat to represent Puerto Rico.

"I do not," Perino said.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=57741
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

So they do know we have a Constitution. They just choose which laws they want to abide by or the ones even the dumbest of the American public would yell foul.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

This is about the Democrats trying to pack votes for the next presidential election. They know DC is Democratic and Liberal. All I have to say is Marion Barry. DC will elect that convicted Crack Head for a Mayor, do we really want them voting for president?

It's unconstitutuional to give DC the vote. Our founding fathers were wise in that decision.

If voting is that big of a deal to the individuals living in DC, then they should move to a location where they can vote. Move across the river to VA or MD.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)