Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Death by prescription

Death by prescription (pro)

It's time Californians had a choice

By Faye Girsh
    2:00 a.m. May 3, 2009

There's little done to discourage violent and lonely deaths, but attempts to provide people with a peaceful death are met with moral outrage.

The efforts of right-to-die advocates in California have been unfruitful, but Oregon and Washington have adopted assisted-suicide laws. Proponents remain hopeful they will eventually prevail in the Legislature or through the initiative process. Many object on moral grounds. Others contend that end-of-life care has advanced so far that there is no need for assisted-suicide in any case.

For more than 30 years, the right-to-die movement has been expanding choices at the end of life. Now Americans can refuse unwanted treatment, including food and fluids; if we cannot speak for ourselves, we can designate a trusted person to make medical decisions for us. We can choose to die by refusing treatment, but we cannot die peacefully if there is no treatment to refuse.

Since 1997, residents of Oregon have had an additional choice – physician aid in dying. If terminally ill, they can obtain a prescription for lethal medication. If they choose to take it, they must be able to mix and swallow it without assistance, though loved ones can be present. Voters in Washington state recently ratified the same law. In Montana, a recent court case may give those residents the same right.

Over the years, several California legislators have sponsored similar bills but faced organized opposition. In 1992, a Death with Dignity ballot initiative was supported by 46 percent of California voters – a good showing considering that our side was vastly outspent, primarily by funds from Catholic sources.

Switzerland has permitted physician aid in dying for many years. There are two organizations in that country that provide help to Swiss citizens and two that help people from any country. Three other countries – the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg – have laws permitting physician aid in dying plus voluntary euthanasia, which means that a doctor can provide a lethal injection to a patient with unbearable suffering who requests it.

Because progress in this country has been excruciatingly slow, the Final Exit Network was formed in 2004. It provides personal information and support, at no charge, to its members who face a terminal or hopeless illness and want to exercise their options. It is a national, 501(c)(3) charitable organization with more than 3,000 members. On Feb. 25, four volunteers from the Network were arrested in a sting operation led by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and covering nine states.

Using law enforcement to prevent people from having the option of a peaceful death reflects the strange priorities of a society that insists on keeping alive seriously ill people who have made a decision to die. Suicide is not against the law. There is little effort to discourage violent and lonely deaths, but attempts to provide people with a peaceful death are met with moral outrage. Hospice is excellent, but other options must also be available.

It is time that Californians had a choice and were not forced to experience a loss of dignity and personhood. This is what one Oregon woman said before she took advantage of that state's law:

“I want to do it on my own terms. I want to choose the place and time. I want my friends to be there. And I don't want to linger and dwindle and rot in front of myself. I want to go out with some dignity.â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Going into Death is not a pleasurable experience for anyone.

Love my Movies! When I was in the military I would be the only person at the movies on Christmas Day. Now I never have a lonely movie day.

Sally Field takes role as cancer patient
    http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/06/01 ... ie-review/

Top 10 Cancer Movies:
    http://www.takepart.com/blog/2008/09/04 ... -stand-up/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)