Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DeMint Gives Greater Voice to Conservative Cause

DeMint gives greater voice to conservative cause

Senator champions issues some in GOP feel have been neglected

By Doug Abrahms • WASHINGTON BUREAU • November 23, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Jim DeMint rankled other Republicans this week when he proposed expelling convicted felon Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska from the caucus and limiting the time some senators could hold leadership positions.

DeMint is more concerned with doing what he considers the right thing than making friends in the Senate.

His stances on Stevens and term limits for GOP Senate leaders underscore his belief that Republicans have forsaken their core principles -- and he needs to help lead the party in a new direction.

"I've invested 10 years of my life in this and I've tried to be a team player, but when you have failures (as big) as we've had over the past four years, it's time to start talking about what you're doing wrong," said DeMint, of Greenville.

Senate Republicans rejected most of DeMint's proposals, except for one that allows for secret ballots to elect leadership and committee chairs. GOP senators also delayed a vote on Stevens in hopes he would lose his re-election bid, which happened Wednesday.

On Nov. 4, Republicans lost the White House, 20 seats in the House and at least seven seats in the Senate, with races in Minnesota and Georgia still undecided. Democrats gained control of Congress after the 2006 elections.

DeMint has received national attention for his stands against Stevens and legislation to bail out the nation's financial markets, and his critical comments about the Republican Party. But he has long championed conservative causes, from opposing a comprehensive immigration reform bill to eliminating congressional pet projects.

"He really hasn't changed, he's just more outspoken," said David Keating, executive director of the conservative Club for Growth, which backs limited government.

The Republican Party hasn't lived up to its belief in fiscal responsibility, limited government and changing the Washington culture, Keating said. He said DeMint's comments reflect the views of voters dissatisfied with the GOP.

The national GOP is debating whether to shift more to the middle or become more conservative to win elections, said Michael Franc, a political analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation. Fewer conservative lawmakers work in Washington today compared with 2004, he said, so DeMint stands out.

"I think a lot of it has to do with there hasn't been the unrivaled conservative leader who's out to define what that means in a broad array of issues," Franc said.

Conservative Republicans are looking to South Carolina for leadership, said Bruce Ransom, a political science professor at Clemson University. Gov. Mark Sanford was elected chairman of the National Republican Governors Association last week, and DeMint is known for his conservative stances, he said.

"He is one that's steadfast on what I would call baseline conservative principles," Ransom said.

DeMint understands better than most Republicans the value of e-mail and YouTube in connecting with people, and has used those and other technologies to push his message beyond South Carolina, said David All, a technology consultant for Republicans.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article ... RSERVICE30
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well I for one would like him to be my Senator. I support him financial when I can. Boxer and Feinstein are absolute disasters.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He is a great Senator for sure. California gets the 2 spineless liberals. Precisely why this state is a total mess! Why is it that all the liberal states with the highest tax rates are the worst in schools, roads etc.?

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail
    Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) is a blessing from God, for sure. He is a patriot, heart, head, hands, and feet. He is Tom Paine and James Madison and Samuel Adams all rolled into one.

It's a shame that he has to be unequally yoked with Sen. Lindsey Graham (RINO-SC), who cancels him out on crucial issues like immigration, L.O.S.T., term limits, the stripping of the carcass (the bailout) . . .

I'd tell you what the Honorable Sen. Grahamnesty wrote in his latest response to constituent [rebuke to ungrateful subservient vermin], but I'm afraid I'd break my keyboard typing it. Or have a stroke.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!