Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Democrats to push for $250 Social Security payment

Democrats to push for $250 Social Security payment

By Charles Riley, staff reporterNovember 13, 2010: 9:44 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- When House Democrats return to Washington on Monday, a top priority will be putting a $250 dollar check in the mail to 58 million Social Security recipients.

Democrats plan to vote early in the lame-duck session on a bill that would provide Social Security recipients with a one-time payment, according to the office of Earl Pomeroy, a Democrat from North Dakota who authored the legislation.

61Email Print CommentThe bill -- with a total cost of roughly $14 billion -- is designed to make up for another year without an increase in Social Security benefits.

In October, the federal government announced that Social Security beneficiaries will see no increase in their benefit checks in 2011. That will mark the second year in a row with no increase.

Social Security debate: Take the quiz
    The last time there was an inflation adjustment was in 2009: Social Security beneficiaries got a higher-than-normal 5.8% increase because of a temporary spike in energy prices in the third quarter of 2008.

Soon after, however, energy prices plummeted. Then the bottom fell out of the economy and prices still haven't fully recovered. As a result, seniors haven't seen a boost in their benefits for two years.

By law, the Social Security Administration is required to track inflation using the most recent third quarter that led to an adjustment. But critics argue that by using only one quarter of data, the change in benefits is more volatile than necessary.

Advocates for the bill say it would help the economy as well as individual recipients.

"This relief will put money in the pockets of millions of older Americans struggling to make ends meet -- money likely to be injected directly into our fragile economy," AARP Senior Vice President Drew Nannis said in a prepared statement.

Earlier this year, the Senate rejected a bill similar to Pomeroy's that would have resulted in a one-time $250 payment to compensate for last year's stagnant Social Security benefit rate.

Republicans and deficit conscious Democrats combined to bring the bill down, and if this year's version passes in the House, it would face the same challenge in the Senate.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/13/news/ec ... gletoolbar
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Democrats if you want to help seniors repeal obama health care our supplement health insurance has raised 25% since Obama came in office, as a senior slightly above the poverty level we as a group alone cannot solve the money crisis. I worked my entire work life paying for a home now I pay large property tax so illegals can attend school.

Want to fix the financial crisis start at the top cutting salaries and work down, starting at the bottom does little.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Democrats if you want to help seniors repeal obama health care our supplement health insurance has raised 25% since Obama came in office, as a senior slightly above the poverty level we as a group alone cannot solve the money crisis. I worked my entire work life paying for a home now I pay large property tax so illegals can attend school.

Want to fix the financial crisis start at the top cutting salaries and work down, starting at the bottom does little.
    Old guy
    Im with you 100% they should start at the top Cutting salaries & work down I work all my life they should help the senior . they help the Illegal immigrant fast . ship them back the hell home . as for the gov cut your salaries & see what it like
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

$250.00 is "throwing a bone" for seniors. Illegals get that much a week for each anchor baby.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    $250.00 is "throwing a bone" for seniors. Illegals get that much a week for each anchor baby.

you are right 100 % right they should not get that at all .they should stop the welfar .& food stamp . & every thing they get & go back home we don't get any thing 250.00 . big S////
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)