Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Denny's Awards Scholarships to 36 Latino Students

This sounds like a La Racist La Raza operation. Ask Denny's if they discriminate. Here:
    http://www.dennys.com/en/cms/Contact%20Us/42.html

Denny's Awards Scholarships to 36 Latino Students

10/25/2006

Spartanburg, S.C.--(HISPANIC PR WIRE - BUSINESS WIRE)--October 23, 2006--Through its partnership with the Hispanic College Fund, Inc. (HCF), Denny's is proud to present 36 college students with scholarships of up to $5,000 each.

Thirty two of the 2006 HCF scholars, including Denny's winner Isabel Perez of Campbellsville, Kentucky, will be honored this evening at HCF's 13th Annual Scholarship Awards Gala in Washington DC at JW Marriott, Pennsylvania Avenue. The event--of which Denny's is a sponsor--will also play host to many international ambassadors.

The HCF scholarship program provides a merit and financial need-based scholarship to Hispanic students. To be eligible students must be:

-- A U.S. citizen of Hispanic/Latino heritage

-- Pursuing a bachelor's degree in a major related to business, engineering, technology, entrepreneurship or that leads to a career in business

-- In good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA

-- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student for a full academic year

Denny's partnership with HCF has helped more than 350 Hispanic students realize their educational goals by providing over $380,000 in scholarships over the past five years.

"Denny's is proud to help support the educational goals of young Latinos and we congratulate this year's scholarship winners," says Ray Hood, Denny's chief diversity officer. "We recognize that education plays a critical role in an individual's future success and for a decade we have been helping ensure Hispanic youth have the support they need to graduate."

Hispanic Business magazine ranked Denny's among the "Top 50 Companies for Diversity" in 2006 and 11th in its survey of the "Top 40 Companies for Hispanics" in 2005.

The Hispanic College Fund (HCF) is a private non-profit organization dedicated to developing the next generation of Hispanic professionals in America. The HCF mission is to provide Hispanic students with the vision, resources, and mentorship needed to attain successful careers and become community leaders. Since its founding in 1993, HCF has supported the education of over 3,000 financially disadvantaged Hispanic students seeking careers in business, science, engineering and technology with over $8 million in grants. Through programs like the HCF Scholarship Program, Hispanic Youth Symposium, Latinos on the Fast Track (LOFT), HCF Connections and the HYP Leadership & Development Program, HCF is enriching lives and building bridges for our future Hispanic leaders. For more information visit the HCF web site at http://www.hispanicfund.org.

Denny's is America's largest full-service family restaurant chain, consisting of 535 company-owned units and 1,024 franchised and licensed units, with operations in the United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Guam, Mexico, New Zealand and Puerto Rico. For more than 50 years, Denny's has been committed to providing guests with quality food, abundant value and a great dining atmosphere. From the award-winning D-Zone(R) menu to its famous Grand Slam(R) breakfasts, Denny's provides a variety of flavorful food and beverage choices for guests of all ages. For further information on Denny's, please visit our web site at http://www.dennys.com.

(Attached: Full List of Scholarships Winners, Their Home Towns and Their Universities)

2006 Denny's Scholars

Name Hometown University

Brooke Buchanan Mesa AZ Arizona State University
    Taylor Bustamante Santa Monica CA University of California-
    Berkeley
    Nora Cobb Athens GA University of Georgia
    Lorena Corona Fontana CA Harvard University
    Beatriz Coronel Elk Grove CA California State University-
    Sacramento
    Karyna Espinoza Wellington FL Florida Atlantic University-
    Boca Raton
    Lourdes Garcia Miami FL Florida International
    University
    Monica Garza Garland TX Texas Woman's University
    Mollie Garza Carrollton TX University of Arkansas
    Jesse Gonzalez Los Angeles CA University of California-Santa
    Barbara
    Karen Guarin West Palm FL University of Miami
    Beach
    Dahenna Hernandez Telephon TX Stephen F Austin State
    University
    Chrystian Fontana CA San Diego State University
    Irazoque Sandra
    Killingsworth Spartanburg SC University of Tampa
    Claudia Leal Dallas TX Southern Methodist University
    John Leem Huntington CA California State University-
    Beach Long Beach
    Angelica Loredo Fort Worth TX University of Texas at
    Arlington
    Jazmyn Marquez Long Beach CA California State University-
    Dominguez Hills
    Francine Martinez Los Angeles CA California State University-
    Northridge
    Adrian Martinez Allen TX Collin County Community
    College-Plano
    Reagan McKinney Houston TX University of Houston-
    University Park
    Jesse Melgar Riverside CA University of California-Los
    Angeles
    Isabel Mojarro Denton TX Texas Woman's University
    Isabel Perez Campbells- KY Belmont University
    Dahisy Ramirez Red Bluff CA University of California-
    Berkeley
    Maria Ramos Porterville CA California State University-
    Fresno
    Raymond Reyes Mesa AZ Arizona State University East
    Elena Rodriguez Pico Rivera CA Loyola Marymount University
    Macarena Rufin Miami FL University of Miami
    Cristina Salas Benbrook TX University of Texas at Austin
    John Salcedo Stockton CA Williams College
    Blanca-Evelia Santa Maria CA University of Southern
    Silva California
    Serrena Stallmo Long Beach CA California State University-
    Long Beach
    Karla Taborga La Mesa CA University of California-Los
    Angeles
    Karina Vega Chino Hills CA California State Polytechnic
    University-Pomona
    Selina Villarreal Dallas TX Texas Woman's University

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/ne ... p?id=48515
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

-- Pursuing a bachelor's degree in a major related to business, engineering, technology, entrepreneurship or that leads to a career in business

-- In good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA

-- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student for a full academic year
    Something is wrong.....I don't see US Citizen on the list....

Banned
    I just got off the phone with their Corporate office. I called this number
    If you need more information or would like to suggest ways to make our site more useful to you, please contact Debbie Atkins, Director, Public Relations & Communications at (864) 597-8361.
    They also have this number
    Call the Denny's Customer Service Team at 1-800-733-6697.
    I told them that my son was getting ready to graduate HS with a 4.0 GPA, and since I had read where Denny's had given 36 scholarships for needy students, I wanted to know where I could apply. She asked if I was Hispanic, and when I said "No", she told me that the scholarship program was STRICTLY for Hispanics.

When I asked her if they had any other scholarships for poor white people I thought she would bust out laughing. So I said "Nothing for black people, nothing for Asians? That's kinda RACIST, isn't it?"

She hung up the phone....

I quit going to Dennys years ago , Here is another good reason .

JohnB2012
    It is there, but I don't think that scholarships should be ethnically based.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You would think they would offer assistance to any Americans. When I get the time and find out how, our company wants to start a Scholarship program for U.S. Citizens regardless of their ethnicity who want to be involved in expanding U.S Manufacturing.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Denny's hispanic scholarship

OK, here's the deal. Private scholarships are funded with private funds. Coors offers scholarships to children of veterans. Sallie Mae offers scholarships to students who are the first in their family to attend college, Denny's offers a scholarship to students of hispanic heritage, so on and so forth. The list goes on and on.

Applying for a scholarship is essentially asking for free money to help with college, provided you meet the specified criteria. We do the same things with our kids. One might take out the trash and clean his room and get a new video game while the who other watches TV and has a messy room doesn't get the new game. They are both your kids, but one gets something the other doesn't.

I'm fairly certian that the Denny's scholarship is for students of Hispanic HERITAGE, not illegal immigrants. I can trace my heritage to the mid 1600's when my earliest Spaninsh ancestor arrived in the US. I am a recipient of one of the Denny's scholarships. I am also a recipient of the Adolph Coors scholarship because my father is a veteran. However, I don't qualify for the United Negro College Fund scholarship, because I am not a Negro.

Bottom line is, there are many scholarships with specifc eligibilty requirements. If you need help paying for college, your time is better spent researching and applying to scholarships for which you qualify, than it is focusing on scholarships whose requirements you don't meet.

There is a difference when it comes to Denny's.

Denny's is not an ethnic organization. It would seem Denny's is discriminating against other Americans by racially picking one ethnic group to offer the scholarships to and not offering them across the board.

It is an American business and should offer their scholarships to ALL AMERICANS.

Once you start discriminating against other Americans it's a problem.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    sporatica wrote:

Bottom line is, there are many scholarships with specifc eligibilty requirements. If you need help paying for college, your time is better spent researching and applying to scholarships for which you qualify, than it is focusing on scholarships whose requirements you don't meet.
    You're right, and your point is well taken. However, you must admit that there are no scholarships exclusively for caucasions. I think that's why most people have a problem with this. Any scholarship that was exclusively for "white" folks would be considered racist and discriminatory.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There is a difference when it comes to Denny's.

Denny's is not an ethnic organization. It would seem Denny's is discriminating against other Americans by racially picking one ethnic group to offer the scholarships to and not offering them across the board.

It is an American business and should offer their scholarships to ALL AMERICANS.
    Correct, CCUSA. Very correct.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast