August 6, 2009

Proposals to name DISD schools for Sotomayor, Obama to be considered
3:30 PM Thu, Aug 06, 2009 | Permalink

On next week's board briefing agenda is a proposal to name new schools in the South Dallas area for President Barack H. Obama and new Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor.

Trustees won't vote on the matter until Aug. 27, but could have discussions on the proposals next Thursday since the items are on the briefing agenda.

The replacement school for Billy Earl Dade Middle Learning Center would be named for Obama. And in a related agenda item up for approval, the library at the Obama school would be named for his wife, Michelle Obama.

The replacement school for O.M. Roberts Elementary School would be named for Sotomayor. But before the naming can be approved, the board will have to rescind its approval for the school to be named after Ray Hunt Sr. For whatever reason, Hunt didn't want the school named for him. The board document says, "This name is now being rescinded at the request of the recipient and the name now submitted to the Board for approval is Sonia Sotomayor."

Sotomayor was confirmed as the nation's first Hispanic Supreme Court justice today. Obama is the nation's first black president.

Trustee Ron Price said he recommended the names for the schools, which are in his area.

"I want my kids in my district to be able to go to a school named after somebody they actually know something about," Price said. "These aspiring kids need to have role models that they can see and not only read about."

http://dallasisdblog.dallasnews.com/