Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DOJ corporate compliance watchdog resigns citing Trump's conduct

DOJ corporate compliance watchdog resigns citing Trump's conduct

By Olivia Beavers
    07/02/17 07:48 PM EDT

A top Justice Department official who serves as a corporate compliance watchdog has left her job, saying she felt she could no longer force companies to comply with the government's ethics laws when members of the administration she works for have conducted themselves in a manner that she claims would not be not tolerated.

Hui Chen had served in the department’s compliance counsel office until she resigned in June, breaking her silence in a LinkedIn post last week titled "Mission Matters," which points to the Trump administration’s behavior as the reason for her job change.

“To sit across the table from companies and question how committed they were to ethics and compliance felt not only hypocritical, but very much like shuffling the deck chair on the Titanic," Chen wrote.

The former federal prosecutor pointed to the multiple lawsuits filed against President Trump questioning the legality of his ties to his family business empire.

"Even as I engaged in those questioning and evaluations, on my mind were the numerous lawsuits pending against the President of the United States for everything from violations of the Constitution to conflict of interest, the ongoing investigations of potentially treasonous conducts, and the investigators and prosecutors fired for their pursuits of principles and facts," she continued.

"Those are conducts I would not tolerate seeing in a company, yet I worked under an administration that engaged in exactly those conduct. I wanted no more part in it,” Chen said, adding that management in her office "persistently prohibited me from public speaking."

Chen started working as an in-house compliance counsel for the Justice Department in 2015, the first lawyer to hold the post. She was responsible for guiding the department's fraud section of the Criminal Division through certain issues like "the prosecution of business entities," according to a Justice Department press release at the time.

She also had to ensure that companies properly carried out their end of negotiated agreements that they reached with prosecutors, and that they did not continue to break the law.

Chen, whose contract expires in October, decided to leave months before then.

A Justice Department spokesman said in a statement that the Fraud office is "deeply appreciative of Ms. Chen’s efforts,” Corporate Counsel reported last week.

Before her resignation, Chen had posted tweets or retweeted articles that were considered critical of President Trump.

”For those who truly care about ‪#ethics, ignoring our current ‪#conductatthetop requires abandonment of conscience,” she tweeted last month.

Chen said management in her office tried to silence her from publicly speaking out against the White House.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...trumps-conduct
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh good riddance. Another snowflake hits the road. YIPPEE!! Keep up the good work Mr. President!!

Tell me, what would a snowflake know about "corporate ethics" and when we have our hands full enforcing the law, why is the federal government wasting our money on a "corporate ethics watchdog unit" to begin with?!!!
    Last edited by Judy; 07-02-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    While she may or may not be making some valid points, I think this is more of a political statement than anything else.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn