Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Easley's place in state history threatened / NC EX.GOVERNOR

Easley's place in state history threatened
    http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/content/2 ... ened/news/

By The Associated Press

Published: May 24, 2009
    RALEIGH - North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley preferred sending an e-mail to getting on the phone, meeting in small groups instead of giving speeches, and spending a quiet weekend at home rather than traveling the Democratic Party's rubber-chicken circuit.
    "I like to get to work and solve problems," Easley said in a 2005 interview before his second inauguration, adding that for all the pomp, "I don't like it as it applies to me personally."
    While the former governor has a jocular side, Easley's reticent, all-business persona stands in contrast to the swirl of allegations surrounding him and former first lady Mary Easley.
    Authorities want to know more about free flights on privately owned aircraft and loaner cars from dealerships, a land purchase in a gated coastal community and how Mary Easley got her job at N.C. State University in 2005 that now pays her $170,000 a year.
    So far, Mike Easley has released a two-sentence statement defending himself and has not responded to several requests for interviews from The Associated Press. And Mary Easley stood silent next to a podium at a news conference late last week, something her lawyer said was prudent as he explained she had no plans to resign.
    "It is my considered judgment that this is the best course of action," Mary Easley's attorney, Marvin Schiller, told reporters.
    The Easleys haven't been charged with any crimes and it may be months or longer before it's determined whether the Easleys did anything unethical or illegal. What is clear is that scrutiny of the largely silent couple threatens to damage the public's view of Mike Easley's accomplishments as governor and attorney general.
    "It's difficult to see how (his) legacy won't be tarnished," said David McLennan, a political science professor at Peace College in Raleigh. "The difficulty with the lack of transparency is it creates the perception that they're hiding something."
    A federal grand jury received testimony last week from a Highway Patrol trooper who was the supervisor of Easley's former security detail. The FBI subpoenaed travel records about privately owned aircraft on which the Easleys and their son rode, and asked for Mary Easley's personnel records at N.C. State.
    The State Board of Elections is investigating if the airplane travel violated campaign finance laws and why Easley's campaign failed to put its use of a sport utility vehicle from an eastern North Carolina dealership on campaign reports years ago.
    Some political observers say it's too early to make assumptions.
    "You've got to try to back away, and say, 'All right, what happened here?"' said Gary Pearce, a longtime Democratic consultant whose former clients include former Gov. Jim Hunt and then-U.S. Sen. John Edwards. "And we're not going to know that for some time."
    While the legal machinations are complicated, the alleged preferential treatment of the Easleys is simple for the public to grasp, said Carmine Scavo, a political science professor at East Carolina University.
    "There's his wife's job. Everybody understands that. And there's flying on planes," Scavo said. "In office, he pretty much had a squeaky-clean reputation, and now a lot of people are re-examining that."
    Easley's behind-the-scenes governing style during his eight years as governor largely served him well.
    He won praise for legislative victories that expanded his nationally recognized public school reforms such as free preschool for at-risk 4-year-olds and two-year college degrees for teenagers before they leave high school. He also helped pass a state lottery with profits going to education.
    "It's important for the current chroniclers of the day, including the media, that they will provide a fair and balanced view of his record," said Eddie Davis, former president of the North Carolina Association of Educators, the state's top teacher lobbying group.
    But Easley also took heat during his final year in office. He defended his wife's expensive taxpayer-funded trips to Europe, got sued over destroyed e-mails in his office and was criticized for failing to fix a tattered mental health treatment system.
    "He was in a hole and kept trying to work his way out of it," said Andy Dedmon of Cleveland County, who was House majority whip during Easley's first two years as governor.
    Republicans have jumped on the allegations, demanding independent investigations and that Mary Easley resign.
    Few Democrats have come to the Easleys' defense. Current Gov. Beverly Perdue, who as lieutenant governor didn't have a close relationship with Easley, and many legislators are taking a wait-and-see attitude.
    "We've heard a whole lot of suppositions and what-ifs and what-abouts," said Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, Easley's closest ally in the Legislature. "I would hope that people would withhold their judgment on all of this until we know something about this."
    Easley also turned his head while the State Employment Commission sent undocumented illegals into the North Carolina workplaces to protect the businesses from doing the hiring.

I had called the Governor Easley office complaining on many occasions. And the Attorney General Cooper's office know about the illegal hiring in our State Unemployment Office but Easley only authorized E-Verifying of new State Employees and not full E-Verifying of all employed in North Carolina.

Related Post:
    Pension/Salary/Benefits CONGRESS; Poll/Vote and MORE!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-126464.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

North Carolina is a sanctuary state because of leaders like sleasly . I wrote his office and the attorney general's office complaining about the illegals taking over . I had a vinyl siding business and had subdivisions worth of work . But between the corrupt politicians and greedy builders I was run out of business . They did not care that a fellow American and veteran were being driven into the ground by the steady declining wages . I had to give up . I have recently moved out of NC because of the apathy of it's leaders and the local media not caring about NC citizens but how we should adapt to our new friends . It just makes me want to puke . NC said F/U to me so now I say F/U to NC . If Easly goes down so much the better . Hawk