Apodaca appointed El Paso sheriff
Times staff report
Article Launched: 01/14/2008 12:38:37 PM MST

El Paso County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Jimmy Apodaca, who has been acting sheriff for several months while Sheriff Leo Samaniego battled cancer and after his death last month, was unanimously appointed to the position today by Commissioners Court.
Apodaca will hold the position until the end of the year, when Samaniego's term was set to expire. Samaniego died Dec. 28.

"I'm sure Sheriff Samaniego is up in heaven watching down on us making the best decision and the right decision," Commissioner Luis Sariñana said.

Apodaca is expected to be sworn in as Sheriff on Tuesday.

Apodaca told Commissioners Court he was thankful for the opportunity to continue Samaniego's work.

"Thank you for your confidence," Apodaca said. "I assure you I will not embarrass you. We want to continue the sheriff's legacy, our tradition of excellence."

At a news conference later Monday, Apodaca said he would retire at the end of the year after a 43-year career in law enforcement.

"It's time I give back to my family," Apodaca said.

Apodaca, who started his career at the El Paso Police Department, was chief deputy at the sheriff's department for the past 11 years. Many thought he would campaign to take the department's reins after Samaniego's death on Dec. 28.

Apodaca said he considered campaigning to be sheriff in 2004, but Samaniego ran again and was elected to a sixth term. Apodaca said Samaniego always wanted him to run and be his successor, but that he also understood Apodaca's wish to spend more time with his family.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_7967240