Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

ESL students tends to go to failing schools

ESL students tend to go to failing schools
    June 26th, 2008, 2:06 pm · 1 Comment · posted by Erin Carlyle
    A report released by the Pew Hispanic Foundation today found that students who are learning English typically attend schools with low standardized test scores.

The report also found that the low standardized scores are not solely due to the presence of English language learners (ELL). Rather, the performance of these schools is low among other student groups as well.

Low-performing schools tend to have high student-teacher ratios, high student enrollments and large numbers of students living in poverty.

For more on English language learning, read this Register stories about adult ESL education .

WHAT A CROCK

http://immigration.freedomblogging.com/ ... g-schools/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They don't go to failing schools, the schools can't educate all the disadvantaged students that can't speak English.

They are implying that throwing more money at the it will solve the problems.

This is a crock!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The schools are failing BECAUSE of ESL students.

I would believe that in a general way. I just know here what they did was change the district then to take the burden off the other schools and when there got to be too many ESL students and those from gang areas, it wasn't long till the school became a "failing school" as well. We have 3, working on 5 highschools. We had the best ranking in the state and it was the district to go too a few years ago........Then everyone came and then they re-drew the district to make it more "racially balanced". But when you have people living in clusters, it's hard to make it perfectly balanced and we have 2 schools that are a success and 1 that is constantly having problems with violence and gangs and more ESL students than the others. I mean they have cameras with a direct link to the police. Something we never had before. The hispanic parents don't seem to mind......their answer is get rid of the white teachers and hire more hispanics and it will be fine.

The vast majority of our elementary schools are brand new, so they don't have a record of being a success or a failure. But even then, they are built to take care of students in the direct area. Same standards, beautiful new schools......but there are areas where it doesn't matter what they do, the students aren't doing as well....they have rotated teachers and done everything they can, so they can't say one school is getting more or less than another. Like the rich kids vs the poor ones.....they all get the same. All I know is we have poor white and poor of other races and 60 something foreign languages in the area and it's always the same groups causing the problems no matter what is offered.

With No child left behind, they lowered the standards across the board. I read a comment in the paper the other day where one woman reported her child is given a math test and ALL the answers were wrong, but he got an A.....because he tried. I don't understand this method of teaching at all and the parents who care are the ones sitting there all night teaching their kids themselves. So when the big tests come around, they score better than many who don't have parents following through or picking up the ball when the school fails.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by judyweller
    The schools are failing BECAUSE of ESL students.
    BINGO!
    "

Perhaps they are failing because the students cannot speak ENGLISH!!!

Perhaps they are failing because the students cannot speak ENGLISH!!!
    Bingo and no real pressure to make it so. I personally don't see how you can do both.....learn a new language and keep up with other classes at the same level, without a lot of extra support and help and hard work. In and out of school.....but it's senseless to keep advancing them when it's not working....and the rest of the students are suffering I mean I don't have the answer but this route has had a good 20 years behind it and it's not working.

Not every immigrant group jumped to college and high paying jobs the first generation. I mean you worked your way up in hopes of making it better for the next generation. Not every person gets a direct easy ride to the top, nor have they ever.

What's that saying....you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.......some of these students just plain don't want to learn. Or their parents aren't supporting the extra effort required to help them succede. Some need to attend the school of hard knocks a bit longer to give them the incentive to change their attitude and be willing to learn. Some don't get it till they are adults and go back. Some never do. But thats the reality for everyone. Some people just can't be worked with. Atleast not in a public school environment. Some of these kids need other help that the public school system can't and shouldn't be expected to fund. I mean you can cater to a point, but it's obvious they are loosing more than than they save.

They had an article where high school graduates weren't comming close to passing college exams or even had basic skills to count change, spell, fill out forms for the basic of jobs in the work force. Now what do we do? Lower the standards even more?