Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Everything in Lee schools on the chopping block

Everything in Lee schools on the chopping block

Instead of $17 million in budget cuts, school district now looking at $30 million less to work with

By MATT CLARK (Contact)
    Originally published 5:55 p.m., Tuesday, March 25, 2008
    Updated 7:53 p.m., Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Forget about high school football, marching bands, student government, art class and all the other Lee County School District programs that aren’t bolted down by Florida statutes.

That’s what School Board Member Steven Teuber fears will be sliced over the next two years if citizens do not write or call in concerns to their legislators, who are now expected to chip away $30 million from the district’s budget in the next year alone. District officials have said the following year’s budget will be even worse.

“I don’t care if you write us 15 gazillion e-mails, it’s not going to change,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Naples Florida (Collier County)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I’ll bet you ESL won’t be cut.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

This is a bunch of BS. Charlie Crist's property tax cut was only $106 for me . After all his high end talk bout it. Now when you that my taxes have doubled in only 5 years , there's tons of waste not being found imo.
    In the old days you balanced your budget and made everything work or you were gone gone .Never did my schools do with out . But we also did alot of fund raising to pay for thing. Plus & a Big Plus. We didn't have ILLEGALS sucking our system dry. Thank You Bush , what a man you are NOT. Pass 20 years it became the norm to run in the red to receive more federal money. Now my taxs double , i get a little tiny break on them and Chicken Little comes to town !!! We don't have very good managers any more in key positions imo maybe ???
    I could say alot more on FL's problems since my 2nd oldest boy and his wife are both teachers in this state . But maybe later on that rant
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Dozier said the Legislature is looking to cut $1 billion from the state education budget. She said the legislators plan to cut teacher leave pay, teacher bonus programs and a program for awarding high-performing schools. After all that, Dozier said, the state will still need to cut an additional $750 million.
    No mention of any Administration job cuts. FL school system is very very top heavy.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pistov
    Dozier said the Legislature is looking to cut $1 billion from the state education budget. She said the legislators plan to cut teacher leave pay, teacher bonus programs and a program for awarding high-performing schools. After all that, Dozier said, the state will still need to cut an additional $750 million.
    No mention of any Administration job cuts. FL school system is very very top heavy.
    Florida budget cuts always start from the bottom up. You know the useful jobs like teachers, law enforcement, and firefighters/ems always suffer first. The people who make the decisions of what positions will get cut will never offer up their own job first. Starting from the top down is unheard of.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire
    Most likely. However, don't think the taxpayers won't demand to know why their kids programs (sports, band, etc.) get cut, while illegal alien's kids are still getting their perks aka free lunches and ESL. You can't hide those things, plus kids will "brag". Free before and after school care for kids of illegals must also be eliminated.

Actually ESL is a good program, IF there are positive results. If not, find out the reason. Are the non-English speakers being taught English IN English or Spanish? Teaching them in Spanish MUST stop.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire
    Most likely. However, don't think the taxpayers won't demand to know why their kids programs (sports, band, etc.) get cut, while illegal alien's kids are still getting their perks aka free lunches and ESL. You can't hide those things, plus kids will "brag". Free before and after school care for kids of illegals must also be eliminated.

Actually ESL is a good program, IF there are positive results. If not, find out the reason. Are the non-English speakers being taught English IN English or Spanish? Teaching them in Spanish MUST stop.
    ESL is a good program if the child is willing to learn. The problem is English is not reinforced at home nor is English pushed in the schools here. Yes ESL is taught but if the child refuses to learn the alternative is to teach in Spanish. That’s why English speaking only children are being pressured to learn Spanish and in some cases SEL (Spanish Emersion Class) is more accurate. In some school districts Spanish classes are mandatory. Florida schools seem to be determined to change the many to accommodate the few