Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Evidence Questioned in Explosives Case

Published Tuesday | February 19, 2008
    Evidence Questioned in Explosives CaseBy MITCH STACY Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A sheriff's deputy acknowledged Tuesday that he used the terms "terrorist" and "Taliban" to describe a pair of Egyptian college students just before a search of their car turned up explosive materials in the trunk.

Attorneys for Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed said the Berkeley County, S.C., sheriff's deputy conducted the Aug. 4 search primarily because they were of Middle Eastern descent and had copies of the Quran.

The defense alleges the deputy, James Lamar Blakely, had neither probable cause nor consent, and wants all evidence found during the search thrown out for the pair's upcoming trial on charges of illegally transporting explosives.

After pulling Mohamed over for speeding, Blakely was caught on his patrol car video joking with a colleague about how the students "probably got a bomb strapped to them" and saying, "I think they're part of the damn Taliban."

When asked about the comments during a federal court hearing Tuesday, Blakely testified, "I made some jokes - it was unprofessional."

Blakely, however, said he decided to search the car because Mohamed hesitated before pulling over after the deputy activated the emergency lights on his patrol car.

Also, the deputy said, passenger Megahed slammed shut a laptop computer and began fumbling in the console as if he was trying to conceal something. And when questioned, the two seemed unclear about where they had been.

Blakely said he initially suspected they were carrying drugs. When he asked permission to search the car, Mohamed answered, "If you must," the patrol car video showed. Blakely said he took that as consent to search.

Mohamed, 26, and Megahed, 21, have been in jail since their arrests in South Carolina.

Prosecutors say they were illegally carrying dangerous explosives when they were pulled over in Goose Creek, S.C., near a naval weapons station in Charleston.

The University of South Florida engineering students say they were on an innocent road trip to see the Carolina beaches. And they contend that the materials that resulted in the charges - fuses and PVC pipe containing a mixture of sugar and potassium nitrate, capped with cat litter - were being used by Mohamed to make fireworks.

Mohamed also has been charged in connection with a video in which authorities say he demonstrates how to convert a remote-control toy into a detonator for a bomb.

According to an FBI affidavit, he told authorities that he made the video "to assist those persons in Arabic countries to defend themselves against the infidels invading their countries."

The hearing continues Wednesday. The trial is scheduled for next month.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10246736

2nd sheriff's deputy acknowledges making racist remarks in arrest
    Printer Friendly | Email | Add to My News | Post comments Font Size: a a A A | Rank: # 781 of 8,541
    Filed under: TAMPA, Fla. , Explosives Arrests
    Feb 20, 2008 11:40 AM (1 hr 29 mins ago) AP

TAMPA, Fla. (Map, News) - A second South Carolina sheriff's deputy acknowledges he made racist remarks during a traffic stop of two Tampa students from Egypt charged with carrying explosive materials.
    Attorneys for the students say the remarks show deputies acted improperly when they stopped and searched Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed. The pair were stopped in August for speeding near Charleston, S.C.
    The disclosure came at a hearing into whether prosecutors can use seized evidence, including bullets and loosely packed explosives the men say are fireworks.
    Sheriff's deputy Andy Taylor admitted he made "unprofessional" remarks about the students' ethnicity and assumed they were terrorists.
    http://www.examiner.com/a-1231333~2nd_s ... rrest.html

[size=150][color=darkblue][i]I’m coming to the conclusion that we need Zero Immigration for awhile until we keep “scumâ€
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

Wait! wait! So they DID have explosives in the car, but we're supposed to disregard that because their feelings were hurt?!?! WTH?!?!?

Suspicious actions ARE probable cause.

He admits to making a video for "terroristic" purposes, but it's ok because it's to help Arabs fight the "infidels" invading their countries?? HELLO? They mean to use those bombs on OUR men and women in the armed forces overseas!

Political correctness has GOT to GO! How many people will die because,
    God forbid. we hurt terrorists & would be terrorists feelings?

Bomb making materials and bomb making video in the car = terrorists/killers, etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I'm not saying it's right to 'profile' individuals of ME origin BUT it does seem to be a fact of life in post 9-11 America for many of us- myself included. I will not apologize for my feelings, thoughts or opinions on this matter.

As for the 'college students' who were 'out for a pleasant drive to the coast' with explosives in the car, but somehow found themselves a bit too close to a naval weapons facility (did I mention the EXPLOSIVES they had in the car?)...

Hey, if those cops wouldn't have thought somthing was "OFF" about these guys- I would be thinking Goose Creek SC might need some brighter bulbs on the force.

KUDOS to Deputies Blakely and Taylor FOR CATCHING THESE 'POTENTIAL' TERRORISTS !!! GREAT JOB!