Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Excuses, Excuses!

I can remember a time when I went to school it was about 88 when i was this old, and they're were kids that always acted out and they were disciplined and they changed their attitude, the very select few that didn't change medicine or not are in jail! I feel that our society has shifted its attitude to: I want it now and it better be the way i want it! And if that doesn't happen well we will just play the blame game and accept no personal responsibility! Now I know that their is exceptions and some need to be dealt with differently but parents need to start raising their kids with respect and values and not greed and entitlement! But that just my opinion on this!

DENVER (CBS4) ― A Denver mother believes if school officials at Centennial Elementary had simply given her bi-polar 10-year-old son his medication last Friday, he wouldn't have ended up in juvenile detention for 3 days, accused of second degree assault on a police officer.

Vincent Barros was in school last Friday morning when he started acting up. A teacher's aide documented what happened.

She wrote that Vincent was "running around screaming, and knocking things off the desk."

"He picked up a metal bat, put it on his shoulder and smiled at me," she wrote.

The bat was put down, but the aide wrote that Barros "knocked over a desk, threw my crocheting at me, got my soda, shook it and tried to explode it."

"These are episodes that I deal with every day," said Shantelle Fry, Barros' mother.

Fry said she has properly worked with the school to make sure Barros gets his medication in circumstances like this one. She said she met with the school nurse and principal and filled out the necessary forms.

"He should've been given his emergency medication," Fry said.

It wasn't clear why Barros didn't get his medication.

Barros had calmed down, according to the teacher aide's letter, before two police officers and three campus security members came into the classroom.

The aide wrote that Barros then "spat and kicked an officer."

"Like any mother, you just stay strong and support your kid," Fry said.

Barros was taken to Gilliam, a juvenile detention center in Denver. He was there all weekend.

"They just said he had to be held until he had court," Fry said.

Fry said Barros was given one family visit and one phone call.

Denver Public Schools said it would not comment due to privacy laws. It did say as a general rule, its board policy allows school nurses and school secretaries that have been trained to administer medication in schools.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/vincent.bar ... 62278.html
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

This stuff simply was not tolerated when I was in school. Of course they could paddle us then and permenantly remove you if you or your parents didn't deal with you. If your child was the problem, it was the parents who had to find another school and usually a private or relegious school to get your education. Now it's the good students who don't cause any problems that are forced out and into alternative schools in order to get an education or simply be safe.

It's like poor baby has problems and we have to treat the kiddie with kid gloves and do our best to protect the innocent students from their outbursts of rage. I was amazed at the stuff the teachers had to tolerate. In my daughters kindergarten class we had a few totally uncontrollable kids.......I mean extreemly violent kids. She had road signs and stuff in the room and I had to grab one because the kid took it like a baseball bat and was trying to whack kids in the head with it for "fun". Other students were brutalized and the teacher was basically helpless........can't say no, can't lay your hands on them, on down the line. They installed a video camera in the room for psychological study and she had to go through additional training to deal with them........after a year of that and parents hoping 1st grade would be better.....the same ones were in class again....doing the same things, videos and all.......wasn't until they got to 4th grade it was finally deemed they needed to go to a special school. There are some who need special care that a regular public school cannot handle and the teacher has alot of students to work with and can't spend the entire day catering to one or two kids who demand all the attention at the expense of the others. If anything it's reinforcing you get what you want if you cause a big enough stink about it. They can't say anything to me, they can't touch me and they have to stay out of my way and do what I want. We wouldn't even DREAM of hitting a teacher or throwing desks and chairs.....let alone like one kid did here and stab a teacher in the eye with a knife....or mass jump a teacher and beat them up. There were consequences for your actions. My parents would have knocked me into next Tuesday if I would have acted like that.

I mean theres always the class clown and a bully here and there......but never to the degree it is now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have two kids with ADHD and one who's autistic. The two ADHD ones have had outbursts, and they are minimally medicated out of necessity. (I will not debate that issue on here )

Anyway, Last school year, my older 'problem child' was causing trouble in her classes, and I kept sticking up for her and demanding those kid gloves be used. It kept getting worse.

This school year, I had a talk with the VP and told her that my daughter is to face all consequences of her actions.

We started the year with the same junk as last yr, but now she's not getting away with anything, so her behavior's improving a LOT. She's had detention several times, but now she hates it and does what she's supposed to do.

Imagine that.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTurtle
    I have two kids with ADHD and one who's autistic. The two ADHD ones have had outbursts, and they are minimally medicated out of necessity. (I will not debate that issue on here )

Anyway, Last school year, my older 'problem child' was causing trouble in her classes, and I kept sticking up for her and demanding those kid gloves be used. It kept getting worse.

This school year, I had a talk with the VP and told her that my daughter is to face all consequences of her actions.

We started the year with the same junk as last yr, but now she's not getting away with anything, so her behavior's improving a LOT. She's had detention several times, but now she hates it and does what she's supposed to do.

Imagine that.

Way to be a good parent and teaching your kids personal accountability!! we need more people like you now more than ever!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

I do feel for parents who have children with problems. Guess my issue is, in some schools a teacher isn't faced with 1 kid with ADD....she has a room of them. If it's hard on the parents dealing with it....imagine a class of them and no help and other demands to meet. My oldest works in day care and she's had training and stuff...but yet the demand is to be a nurse, psychologist, know about asthma and diabetes and epilepsey and ADD and food allergies and other behavioral problems and you're basically playing referee and trying to keep kids from swinging off the rafters with no help. Half the time she has to be teacher to the parents because they don't know anything about the problems either, forget medications or whatever. I think it's more than the public school system is designed to deal with and I'm not sure they've had ample training in dealing with alot of these different issues especially when it's a class with multiple extra issues to deal with as well as the expectation to teach classes.

I have alot of complaints with the public school system as it is.....so it's hard to know when to stand behind your kid or maybe cringe and have to support the teacher for your childs best interest.

I sadly do have to laugh in a sick sort of way......it's OK to bash your parents, throw stuff around a room, kick the teacher, beat-up other kids.....just don't spit at a cop. THAT'S assult. LOL Then what was the rest?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTurtle

Imagine that.
    Bravo to you for your consistancy. I swear it is one of the hardest things about parenting, but it pays off big time and your kids respect you more.

I have a very dear friend who, along with her husband, tried to be their two daughter's "friends" and now they are teen terrors. She advised me against it-Im gonna take her word!