Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Facebook Admits Spying on Messenger, ‘Scanning’ Private Photos

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Facebook Admits Spying on Messenger, ‘Scanning’ Private Photos

and google/chrome keeps a record of everything you have done online plus your emails..especially if you are logged in.

Facebook Admits Spying on Messenger, ‘Scanning’ Private Photos

by Tom Ciccotta4 Apr 2018 876
    Facebook Messenger scans photos and links sent by users on the messaging platform, according to a recent statement by the company itself.

Facebook released the statement for a report by Bloomberg, which states that messages on Facebook’s Messenger platform are analyzed for violation of Facebook’s conduct policies. If they are flagged by the automated system, they are then read by moderators. If the content is deemed in violation of Facebook policy, the moderator is then permitted to taken action.

CEO Mark Zuckerberg himself has admitted to monitoring Messenger conversations. “In that case, our systems detect what’s going on,” Zuckerberg said in an interview with Vox. “We stop those messages from going through.”

Unlike WhatsApp, the popular messaging platform Facebook acquired in 2014 for approximately $19.4 billion, Facebook Messenger does not automatically provide end-to-end encryption. Users must activate “secret conversations” on the Messenger platform in order to take advantage of encryption. Through end-to-end encryption, only participants in a conversation are able to read the messages that are exchanged.
    A Facebook Messenger spokeswoman said that the monitoring tools are in place to prevent abusive behavior from taking place on the platform.

“For example, on Messenger, when you send a photo, our automated systems scan it using photo matching technology to detect known child exploitation imagery or when you send a link, we scan it for malware or viruses,” she said. “Facebook designed these automated tools so we can rapidly stop abusive behavior on our platform.”

Facebook has faced heightened scrutiny over the last several weeks as a result of a data scandal. At the end of March, Facebook took out a full-page ad in several major newspapers to apologize for the data leakage.
    “We have a responsibility to protect your information. If we can’t, we don’t deserve it,” the ad read.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...paign=20180404

Disgusting. They should go to jail for scanning those photos.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bombshell: Facebook Admits ‘Most’ of Site’s 2 Billion Users Compromised by ‘Malicious Actors’

AFP

by Lucas Nolan6 Apr 20183962
    Facebook has admitted in an announcement that most of its 2 billion users may have been compromised by “malicious actors.”

CommonDreams.com reports that Facebook has admitted that more user accounts may have been compromised than those announced during the company’s most recent data scandal. Initial reports stated that approximately 51 million accounts were allegedly targeted in the Cambridge Analytica user data scandal, Facebook later clarified after an internal audit that the number was closer to 87 million, but it now seems that the company has admitted after further research that nearly all of Facebook’s 2 billion accounts could have users personal info scraped from them by a variety of “malicious actors.”
    WIRED journalist Matt Burgess noted that Facebook’s last statement on the data scandal briefly mentioned that “most” of the site’s two billion users had personal info scraped from their Facebook profiles by “malicious actors.”
    Facebook’s chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer wrote in a company blog post: “Until today, people could enter another person’s phone number or email address into Facebook search to help find them. Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we’ve seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way. So we have now disabled this feature.”
    Essentially, Facebook believes that over the course of many years, “malicious actors” used search features which Facebook has now disabled to collect information that users were unaware was allowed to be viewed publicly.
    The Washington Post explained how these “malicious actors” gained access to the data saying:
    [M]alicious hackers harvested email addresses and phone numbers on the so-called “Dark Web,” where criminals post information stolen from data breaches over the years. Then the hackers used automated computer programs to feed the numbers and addresses into Facebook’s “search” box, allowing them to discover the full names of people affiliated with the phone numbers or addresses, along with whatever Facebook profile information they chose to make public, often including their profile photos and hometown.
    …Facebook users could have blocked this search function, which was turned on by default, by tweaking their settings to restrict finding their identities by using phone numbers or email addresses. But research has consistently shown that users of online platforms rarely adjust default privacy settings and often fail to understand what information they are sharing.
    Hackers also abused Facebook’s account recovery function, by pretending to be legitimate users who had forgotten account details. Facebook’s recovery system served up names, profile pictures and links to the public profiles themselves. This tool could also be blocked in privacy settings.
    Kurt Walters, campaign director at Demand Progress, said on Wednesday that: “This is a crisis of trust. Mark Zuckerberg needs to demonstrate that Facebook users’ wellbeing—not Facebook’s profit line—is the company’s number one priority. Facebook must stop the foot-dragging and immediately alert everyone whose personal data was compromised by Cambridge Analytica or other third parties.”

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...paign=20180406

The "malicious" actor is Facebook that scans and stores the information and provides access to third parties.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

More Individuals Horrified, Begin Finding Everything FB Took Off Their Phones

By Cillian Zeal
    March 27, 2018 at 7:28am

It could be the two words that end up bringing Facebook down: Cambridge Analytica.
    Yes, the firm that constructed an app to take data without permission from 50 million users has reduced public trust in the social media giant. This has happened before, particularly when it comes to privacy breaches and algorithm changes that target conservative users and websites.
    However, this time major advertisers are pulling away from Facebook. Its stock price is plummeting. And, what’s more, the Cambridge Analytica scandal has users interested in finding out just what Mark Zuckerberg’s behemoth has been taking off of their phone and their computer — and not liking what they’re finding.

As you may have heard, you can download everything that Facebook has stored on you as a .zip file. The results, as Twitter users shared, are eye-opening.
    If you never understood what "being a product on $FB " means, go to Settings -> "Download a copy of your Facebook data." and then go to Ads tab to see the list of the companies that acquired your data. Mine is so long that it couldn't fit on my 34' monitor. pic.twitter.com/dIydW9o5ND
    — Łukasz Strzałkowski (@lukaszx0) March 22, 2018
    Downloaded my facebook data as a ZIP file
    Somehow it has my entire call history with my partner's mum pic.twitter.com/CIRUguf4vD
    — Dylan McKay (@dylanmckaynz) March 21, 2018
    It didn’t take long for people to discover that Facebook has a lot more data on them than they thought. As you can see from above, it’s not just search history. In some cases, it’s downright disturbing.

Just downloaded a copy of my Facebook data and I am honestly contemplating deactivating soon. The have every single message I have ever sent, details of my contacts, and a call log of every single call I've made on my phone…. (not even on the messenger app!)
    — Haleema Khan (@haleemak_) March 26, 2018
    The also have random pictures from my PRIVATE profile, even though every app that you authorise to use with Facebook insists they ONLY pull data from your public profile. This is not true. Download your own data and you'll see!
    — Haleema Khan (@haleemak_) March 26, 2018
    I recommend everyone going to Facebook>Settings>Download a copy of your Facebook data. It lets you learn what data @facebook has on you. Or at least what they're willing to tell you they have on you. Here's a page from my .zip file. Never agreed to all of these ppl having my info pic.twitter.com/icAaX69fqt
    — Eliana Block (@ElianaBlock) March 26, 2018
    I just downloaded my Facebook data, and yes, like others, they do have all the mobile numbers in my address book, including some sensitive ones, so now what, as I lean on this open stable door watching the horse disappear over the hill?
    — Jane Merrick (@janemerrick23) March 25, 2018

And it’s not just big companies that are looking to mine your information. As one of the Twitterers above discovered, even Demi Lovato’s official page was interested in her info. And she isn’t the only artist doing that, either:
    I downloaded my Facebook data and now I'm going through it. Biggest surprise so far:
    Facebook gave Sum 41 my contact info pic.twitter.com/zPfu2qqhFd
    — Ryan Broderick (@broderick) March 23, 2018
    And you don’t even have to be a user to have your data collected by Facebook — non-users who have visited sites with Facebook ads or shared content from Facebook are also tracked. The irony is that it’s significantly more difficult for non-users to find out what the social media platform has collected about you.

Last month, before the Cambridge Analytica scandal broke, New Zealand Herald writer Nick Whigham found out just how much data the service had been collecting from him.

“Since the moment I, and everyone else signed up, the social media service has been collecting and keeping everything — I seriously mean everything — we have ever done on the site,” Whigham wrote.

“It’s one thing to know Facebook holds all this data (and much more) on you but it’s another thing to trawl through it and find things even you’d forgotten about yourself,” he wrote. “It’s an odd feeling to think that, in some ways, Facebook knows you better than you know yourself.”
    This was scary enough before Cambridge Analytica. Now, it’s becoming even more of a dystopian nightmare.

If you want to find out what Facebook has been collecting about you, here’s a handy illustrated guide on how to do it:
    #DeleteFacebookNow: If you're still not willing to #DeleteFacebook, here let me convince you. Please follow these steps (It won't delete your account):
    >Go to Account Settings
    >There's an option down below that says "Download a copy of your Facebook data". pic.twitter.com/7Ydbh0bmyY
    — Manuel S M (@ManuelMadathil) March 23, 2018
    Prepare to be surprised — and likely not in a good way.

https://conservativetribune.com/more...tm_content=ttp