Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feds plan to let states toll interstate highways to pay for reconstruction

Feds plan to let states toll interstate highways to pay for reconstruction

BY CURTIS TATE
    McClatchy Washington BureauApril 29, 2014

This interchange on the Capital Beltway in Tysons Corner, Virginia, on April 5, 2012, is part of a $1.4 billion project to add 14 miles of express toll lanes to the Beltway.
    CURTIS TATE — MCT

WASHINGTONThe U.S. Department of Transportation on Tuesday asked Congress to end the prohibition on tolling existing interstate highways as a way of paying for their reconstruction, marking a major shift away from how the system has been funded for decades.

The proposal is part of President Barack Obama’s $302 billion infrastructure bill aimed at addressing a looming shortfall in the federal Highway Trust Fund. States are currently able to toll interstates only to add lanes, but many simply don’t have the funds they need to widen or rebuild the oldest sections of interstate, and nor does the federal government.

Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said Tuesday that the federal Highway Trust Fund is set to run out of cash in August, a scenario that would hurt most states. According to the American Road and Transportation Builders Association, a trade group, 31 states rely on federal funds for more than half their highway and bridge improvements.

McClatchy reported two years ago that three states _ Missouri, North Carolina and Virginia _ were considering tolls to rebuild their oldest interstates under a federal pilot program limited to three applicants.

None of the states has enacted tolling on those highways, but Tuesday’s proposal would grant that option to every state.

Longtime advocates of expanded tolling lauded the proposal. Pat Jones, executive director and CEO of the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association, noted that 35 states had used tolling as a “proven and effective option” for infrastructure improvements.

“We applaud the administration for taking the bold step of proposing to lift the ban on interstate tolling,” Jones said.

Still, the trucking industry and motorist groups renewed their opposition Tuesday. Toll opponents argue that payment collection systems are inefficient, that they raise costs for businesses and consumers and that they divert traffic to local roads that were never designed for large volumes of traffic.

The trucking industry and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce support increasing federal taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel, though the White House and Congress have shown little appetite for that. Bill Graves, president and CEO of the American Trucking Associations and a former Republican governor of Kansas, called the administration’s plan “disappointing.”

“The focus must be on real, long-term funding answers rather than repeatedly looking for the proverbial ‘nickels in the couch cushions,’” Graves said.

The country’s 47,000 miles of interstate highway have largely been free of tolls since the system’s creation in 1956. Its construction and maintenance was funded through a per-gallon tax on gasoline. The tax was increased only three times in its history, most recently in 1993.

The 18.4 cent tax on gasoline and the 24.4 cent tax on diesel fuel was not indexed to inflation, and construction costs have soared. But taxpayers are paying for it anyway. Since 2008, Congress has had to transfer more than $50 billion into the Highway Trust Fund from general revenues to keep the fund solvent.

The current multi-year transportation bill, known as MAP-21, expires at the end of September, and unless Congress renews it, federally funded transportation projects would stop in 2015. According to the Congressional Budget Office, Congress would have to find another $100 billion in the next six years just to maintain spending at current levels.

“Everybody is terrified about talking about how to pay for it,” said Joshua Schank, president and CEO of the Eno Center for Transportation, a Washington policy group.

Only half the funding for Obama’s four-year plan, about $150 billion, would come from existing tax revenues. A one-time windfall generated by a corporate tax overhaul would generate the balance. But state transportation departments would prefer a long-term fix.

In a study last year, the libertarian Reason Foundation pegged the cost of widening and reconstructing the interstate system at $1 trillion, and it advocated tolling as the best way to raise the funds.

Opponents note that every attempt to use the pilot program to toll existing interstates has not succeeded.

“The option for states to place tolls on existing interstate capacity has existed for 23 years, and not a single state has used tolls in this way,” said Hayes Framme, a spokesman for the Alliance for Toll-Free Interstates, a business coalition.

But states also may have exhausted their alternatives. They’ve raised their own taxes and fees for transportation projects, but it won’t be enough to cover the loss of federal funds.

“We’ve never been in this circumstance before,” Schank said.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/04/2...nterstate.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

1. The United States of toll roads

Washington Post (blog)-4 hours ago
      You'll experience the fresh air, the thrill of the open road — and, if you're on ... Toll roads would be a minor part of the new funding structure.
    NO AMNESTY

Carpool lanes in Los Angeles turned into toll roads

Martin Hill
    LibertyFight.com
    July 3, 2012

In the latest scheme to separate residents from their hard-earned dollars, High-Occupancy-Vehicle (HOV) lanes are now being converted to High-Occupancy-Toll (HOT) lanes in Southern California.

Two freeways in Los Angeles County are about to begin charging motorists toll fees if they want to use the carpool lane. Despite being originally portrayed as including more than one person in the vehicle, carpoolers now must have a minimum of three people to qualify for “free” travel in the carpool lanes during peak commuting hours.

Additionally, regardless of the amount of people in the vehicle, all autos travelling in the toll lanes must have an RFID transponder device installed in their car starting in October 2012. ["Those vehicles that are carpooling and meet the minimum occupancy requirements will not have a toll deducted from their account"].

Carpool lanes were initially implemented during the presidency of George H.W. Bush, after he signed two federal laws to “specifically encourage states to consider, and implement, if feasible, HOV lanes”.

The L.A. Metro website states “The Metro ExpressLanes Demonstration Program is primarily funded with a $210 million congestion reduction demonstration grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT)”.

The two freeways affected will be the I-10 from I-605 to Alameda St and the I-110 from Harbor Gateway Transit Center to Adams Bl.

Among the stated “Program Goals” are to “Test strategies to alleviate congestion, Fund additional transit alternatives, Maximize freeway capacity usage, Increase travel time savings, Improve trip reliability and safety & Reduce air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions”.

The toll rates will range from $0.25 to $1.40 per mile and “will vary within the range based upon demand”, promising to ensure a minimum speed of 45 mph to participants. Not willing to be accused of revenue-generation, the state adds a caviat that “The maximum toll represents a price to discourage more entry rather than generate additional revenue.”

The main page claims “The average toll for Metro ExpressLanes during the peak period (end to end) will be $6 for the I-10″, yet digging deeper into their website, another page in the labyrinth of charts admits that the“Avg Trip on I-10 is 9 miles”, which at a peak charge of $1.40 per mile would equal more than double that, $12.60.

For a commuter travelling west and eastbound in the morning and evening during peak hours, that would total over $25 per day, or $126 per week.

The Overall Program Budget is $290 million. Some “customer benefits” alleged are “saves time, reduces green house gas emissions, metro carpool loyalty program”, and “new expansion bicycle lockers”.

The loyalty program promises that “Carpools and vanpools are automatically entered into monthly drawings for gift cards each time they use FasTrak.” The Green Fact Sheet” portion of the website boasts that the program “promotes bicycle, pedestrian, and transit, healthier air”, and “reductions in both smog and toxic air contaminants”. It is beyond absurd to contend that commuters would switch to riding a bike to work in Southern California.

Consistent with the cashless Big-brother tracking ideology, cash customers will be penalized and charged nearly double to set up their accounts; $40 to set up the account with a credit/debit card, but $75 to set it up using cash:
    “What does it cost to set up a pre-paid FasTrak account?
    Credit/Debit Card Accounts: An initial prepaid toll deposit of $40 per transponder is required to open an account. The $25 transponder deposit will be waived.
    Cash/Check Accounts: An initial prepaid toll deposit of $50 per transponder and a per transponder deposit of $25 will be required to open an account.”

Also, the Minimum Balance Threshold for Credit/Debit Cards is $10.00, but nearly triples to $25.00 for cash customers.

They claim that the program will be available to all income levels, but the only discount is that for the initial setup, not for toll charges. Also, the measly discount only specifies as applicable to residents of L.A. County, leaving out a huge number of commuters who drive into L.A. daily from the nearby counties of Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside. ["Residents of Los Angeles County with an annual household income (family of 3) at or below $37,060 will qualify for a $25 credit when they set up their account. This credit can then be applied to either the transponder deposit or pre-paid toll deposit.

The monthly $3 account maintenance fee will also be waived".
    ]

As with all revenue schemes, the police aren’t far behind, with “a combination of visual monitoring by California Highway Patrol (CHP) vehicles” and “photo enforcement”. A myriad of punitive and excessive feesaccompany the revenue officers, including a $3 Monthly Account Maintenance Fee, $25 Credit Card Declined Fee, $25 Returned Check Fee, $25 Negative Balance Fee, $25 Forced Account Closing Fee, and $25 Failed to Return Transponder in Good Condition Fee.

The Metro FAQ page, in response to the question Aren’t tolls just another tax? replies
    “No. These are optional tolls, and the choice is yours. Unlike a tax that everyone pays, only the drivers that do not meet the minimum occupancy requirements who choose to use a toll facility will be charged a fee. Solo drivers have the option to use the existing general purpose lanes toll-free, or pay to use the toll facility if better mobility and more reliable trip times are desired”.

Another page points out that “Congestion pricing” provides an opportunity to sell some of the additional capacity on the ExpressLanes to those willing to pay a toll and maximizes efficiency of the entire freeway.” Nine states already have HOT lanes, and the metro site lists several more “U.S. locations where HOT Lanes are in development”, including Austin TX, Portland OR, Fort Lauderdale, FL and Santa Cruz CA.

This article was posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

http://www.infowars.com/carpool-lane...to-toll-roads/
    NO AMNESTY

1. Taking the Toll Roads in Orlando and Florida — Temporary ...

temporarytourist.com › TravelingFlorida

Apr 21, 2013 -One of the more frustrating aspects of living in central Florida is all the toll roads in Orlando. Driving around the city, though, is actually quite ...
    NO AMNESTY

Texas[edit]

Current toll roads[edit]

Road Name S/W Terminus N/E Terminus Length Cash tolls (automobile) Notes
    183A Toll Road US 183 south /SH 45 east / RM 620Austin US 183Cedar Park 11.6 mi. Maximum Fare: $2.91 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $3.87 Mail This is an All-Electronic Toll road.
    290 Toll Road US 183 / US 290Austin US 290 /FM 734Manor 5 mi. Maximum Fare: $1 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $1.34 Mail All-electronic tolling. Unfinished - open only from US 183 to Springdale Road
    SH 255 (Camino Colombia Toll Road) To FM 1472 I-35Botines 22.451 mi. $3.00 (TxTag/TollTag/EZ TAG)$3.99 (Camino Colombia Day Pass) TxTag, TollTag, EZ TAG, or Day Pass required
    Dallas North Tollway I-35EDallas US 380Frisco 32 mi. Maximum Fare: $4.89 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $7.34 ZipCash (NTTA's name for Pay by Mail) All-electronic tolling.
    Fort Bend Toll Road Beltway 8 /Sam Houston Tollway /Fort Bend Parkway Toll Road
    US 90 Alt. east (South Main Street)
    1.5 mi Maximum Fare: $1.45 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $1.75 Cash No Change Made
    Fort Bend Parkway Toll Road Sienna Parkway Beltway 8 /Sam Houston Tollway/ Fort Bend Toll Road 7.8 mi Maximum Fare: $1.75 TollTag, TxTag, or EZ TAG required on the Fort Bend County segment.
    Grand Parkway Toll Road in Fort Bend County (seven toll overpasses) I-69 / US 59 FM 1093 /Westpark Tollway Less that one mile per overpass Maximum Fare: $2.10 ($0.30 per overpass) TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG required.
    Hardy Toll Road I-610 I-45 21.6 mi Maximum Fare: $2.90 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $3.50 Cash TollTag, TxTag, or EZ TAG required on some ramps.
    Hardy Toll Road Connector to George Bush Intercontinental Airport Hardy Toll Road John F. Kennedy Boulevard 4 mi Maximum Fare: $1.15 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $1.25 Cash
    International Parkway Spur 97Fort Worth SH 114 /SH 121Grapevine 6.0 mi Depends on time spent in airport. Toll for simple pass through is $2.00 cash, $1.00 with TollTag. TollTag must be properly installed and functioning, and backed by credit card, to be accepted. TxTag and EZ TAG not accepted.
    Loop 1 Loop 1 / FM 734Austin SH 45Round Rock 3.8 mi. Maximum Fare: $1.04 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $1.38 Mail All-electronic tolling. Toll includes passage along SH 45 between Loop 1 and I-35.
    Loop 49 I-20 SH 110 26.3 mi. Maximum Fare: $2.69 TollTag, TxTAG, and EZ TAG or $3.58 Mail All-electronic tolling.
    President George Bush Turnpike I-20Grand Prairie I-30 / US 67Rowlett 51.5 mi. Maximum Fare: $8.37 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $12.58 ZipCash(NTTA's name for Pay by Mail) All-electronic tolling. Two branches connected by SH 161 which is not tolled.
    Sam Houston Tollway I-45 I-69 / US 59 91 mi. Maximum Fare: $9.95 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG The northeast section from I-69/U.S. 59to U.S. 90and some ramps require TollTag, TxTag, or EZ TAG.
    Sam Rayburn Tollway SH 121 / SH 114Coppell US 75 / SH 5/ Spur 399McKinney 26 mi. Maximum Fare: $3.82 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG, or $5.74 ZipCash(NTTA's name for Pay by Mail) All-electronic tolling.
    SH 45 US 183 / RM 620Cedar Park I-35Buda 11.5 mi Maximum Fare: $2.08 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $2.76 Mail All-electronic tolling.
    SH 99 (Grand Parkway) inChambers County Fisher Road I-10 6.6 mi Maximum Fare: $1.20 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG required.
    SH 99 (Grand Parkway) in Harris County I-10 US 290 / SH 6 15 mi Maximum Fare: $2.88 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG required.
    SH 130 I-10Seguin I-35Georgetown 86 mi. Maximum Fare: $13.37 TollTag, TxTag, and EZ TAG or $17.79 Mail All-electronic tolling.
    SH 550 I-69E / US 77 /US 83 / FM 511Olmito FM 511Brownsville 0.5 mi. Minimum $0.50 - Maximum $2.50 (TxTAG)
    Minimum $0.67 - Maximum $3.35 (Mail)
    All electronic tollway
    Westpark Tollway SH 99 Westpark Drive 20 mi. Maximum Fare: $4.20 TollTag, TxTag, or EZ TAG required.
    Tolled express lanes on freeways[edit]

• I-10, Harris County, from Texas State Highway 6 to I-610.[29] The lanes use a variant on thecongestion pricing model, in that certain vehicles (mainly METRO Buses) are given free passage at all times, HOV+2 and motorcycles are permitted free passage during designated HOV periods and are charged set tolls at other times, SOV vehicles are charged dynamic pricing depending on the time of day, and commercial vehicles are charged a set toll ($7.00) at all times.[30]

Hybrid systems[edit]

NO AMNESTY