Female Gun Advocate Lays Into Democratic Senator Over Women’s Second Amendment Rights

By Steve Straub On January 30, 2014 · 27 Comments · In Second Amendment, Video

During the Senate hearings on gun violence, Independent Women’s Forum fellow Gayle Trotter tore into Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), scolding him for what she believes was his argument against a woman’s right to defend her family with whatever firearm she so chooses.

Sen. Whitehouse pointed out to Trotter that 18-year-old Oklahoma mother Sarah McKinley shot dead a home intruder using a 12-gauge Remington shotgun, which would not be banned under Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s proposed statutes.

Trotter expressed uncertainty over the exact weapon used, prompting the senator to respond: “Trust me. That’s what it was and it would not be banned under the statute. It proves the point that with ordinary firearms, not 100-magazine, peculiar types of artifacts — people are quite capable of defending themselves.”

The gun advocate replied: “I respectfully disagree. I understand your also a graduate from the University of Virginia School of Law and you were close to Monticello where Thomas Jefferson penned our Declaration of Independence and close to Montpelier where James Madison was instrumental in drafting the Bill of Rights. I think you can understand that, as a woman, it is very important not to place undue burdens on our Second Amendment right to choose to defend ourself.”

Whitehouse defended himself, saying that he simply brought up the McKinley story as an example of “one that would not bear an argument against the proposal” to ban certain weapons, “because that Remington Express is a weapon that would be perfectly allowed.”

An incredulous Trotter responded by asking, “Would it have been unreasonable for her to use a different gun to protect her child?”
“I think if she was using a ’100 weapon,’” Whitehouse said before repositioning: “Let me put it another way. She would clearly have an adequate ability to protect her family without the need for a 100-round piece of weaponry.”

At this point, Trotter became irritated, asking, “How can you say that?” She pointed out that Whitehouse is “a large man,” eliciting laughter from the crowd. “You are a tall man,” she clarified before scolding the senator: “You are not a young mother who has a young child with her. And I am passionate about this position because you cannot understand, you are not a woman stuck in her house, having to defend her children, not able to leave her child, not able to seek safety, on the phone with 9-1-1, and she cannot get the police there fast enough to protect her child, and she is not used to being in a fire fight.”

Whitehouse concluded the allotted time by saying, “My point is that she did it adequately and safely with lawful firearms.”

[image source - screenshot]

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/v...endment-rights