Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Five from Congress, 94 others arrested

Five from Congress, 94 others arrested

It's a busy day in Washington, D.C., for protesters and the officers arresting them.

U.S. Park Police told the Associated Press they have arrested 91 protesters in front of the White House. Some were people in wheelchairs who chained themselves to a fence, officers said.

The demonstrators called on President Obama to support legislation that would provide people with disabilities in need of long-term care alternatives to nursing homes.

Police issued written citations but didn't take the protesters into custody. Sgt. David Schlosser said the group did not have the required protest permit, which is necessary for more than 25 demonstrators.

And over at the Sudanese Embassy, five members of Congress were arrested while protesting the expulsion of aid groups from Darfur, said the Associated Press and the Boston Globe.

Arrested, with three others, were Democratic lawmakers Keith Ellison of Minnesota, Jim McGovern of Massachusetts, John Lewis of Georgia, Donna Edwards of Maryland and Lynn Woolsey of California.

They urged world leaders to oppose Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir's decision to throw out 16 aid agencies, the Associated Press said. The United Nations said up to 300,000 people have perished in the Darfur unrest that began more than six years ago, AP said.

According to JTA, the others arrested were Rabbi David Saperstein, director of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism, Save Darfur Coalition President Jerry Fowler and Enough Project co-founder John Prendergast.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/20 ... tests.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The demonstrators called on President Obama to support legislation that would provide people with disabilities in need of long-term care alternatives to nursing homes.
    No. That's unreasonable.

Considering how often people get sued over minor compliance issues outlined in the Americans with Disablitiels Act, I wouldn't go own a business that caters to people with disabilities. That would be stupid.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have been saying for years that we ought to use civil disobedience arrest on a limited strategic basis. There are many people who when they see illegal aliens marching have a strong negative reaction. They do not know what to do about it however. If some of us got arrested with signs saying log onto our site ALIPAC or NumbersUSA the news would be the equivalent of a free ad.,
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I have been saying for years that we ought to use civil disobedience arrest on a limited strategic basis. There are many people who when they see illegal aliens marching have a strong negative reaction. They do not know what to do about it however. If some of us got arrested with signs saying log onto our site ALIPAC or NumbersUSA the news would be the equivalent of a free ad.,
    Are you going to jail first to show us how to do it ?
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

Our Gov't doesn't care about us.

Interesting our Gov't will arrest Americans in wheel chairs but allows illegals to march in May day parades demanding Amnesty and more money from the American people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is why I picketed on Ted Kennedy's lawn but he was to astute to have me picked up.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These days, I guess you have to have a permit to protest anything. At least to be able to communicate on the web, we don't need a permit, yet, but I keep hearing rumors that we all will soon be taxed for our Internet usage minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It is why I picketed on Ted Kennedy's lawn but he was to astute to have me picked up.

LOL.

I just have one question Richard.........how did you make it as far as his lawn?

With my luck I'd no sooner have stepped out of my car and had a guard dog chewing on my ankle while a security detail was hauling me away by each arm

ELE

Bad or good it's still publicity.

You have a lot of guts Richard. I think your point is well-taken if we march and got arrested we would get publicity. And even if the media paints our side as racist and/or ugly at least we will have attention. And some people would check us out.

Arrested, with three others, were Democratic lawmakers Keith Ellison of Minnesota, Jim McGovern of Massachusetts, John Lewis of Georgia, Donna Edwards of Maryland and Lynn Woolsey of California

I just thought of something........members of Congress, and Democrats no less, being arrested and denied THEIR rights

How's that for irony?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast