http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... d-turnout/

CNN) — The Florida primary isn't until Tuesday, but nearly 1 million voters have already cast their ballots through early-voting and absentees — a sign the state will likely experience a record turnout despite the fact party sanctions have rendered the Democratic contest meaningless.

According to the Florida's Secretary of State's office, more than 474,000 Republicans and just over 400,000 Democrats have already voted. An additional 109,000 voters have also already voted on a property-tax amendment on this year's ballot. Early voting began January 14 and ended Sunday.

The nearly 1 million Floridians who have voted early already rivals the 1.3 million total voters who participated in the state's 2000 primary — the last time both party's held a contested primary.The record-breaking early turnout is likely a result of the highly completive races on both sides, and Florida's decision to move its primary from mid-march to early January. But that decision drew strict sanctions from both national parties — the Republicans barred half of Florida's delegates to the convention while the Democrats stripped the state of its delegates entirely.

The nearly 400,00 Democrats who have already cast ballots is particularly surprising, given the leading presidential candidates, including Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards, all pledged not to campaign in the state or run television advertising following the party's sanctions.

But Clinton, who polls show is heavily favored to win the state, has increasingly stressed its importance to the Democratic race. Following her defeat in South Carolina, the New York senator said Florida is the next battlefront — a contention Obama sharply disagreed with, given the fact no delegates are at stake. Clinton has also called on the Democratic Party to formally lift its sanctions on the state, and on Sunday, she announced she will be in the Florida Tuesday night.

"I intend to be in Florida Tuesday night –the votes of the people of Florida and of course Michigan really matter to me. I am running to the president of our entire country," she said.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Shirley Zilberstein

Filed under: Florida