Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Florida Gov. Rick Scott opposes Trump’s idea of arming teachers: ‘I want our teachers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Florida Gov. Rick Scott opposes Trump’s idea of arming teachers: ‘I want our teachers

Florida Gov. Rick Scott opposes Trump’s idea of arming teachers: ‘I want our teachers to teach’

Erin Durkin
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Sunday, February 25, 2018, 1:48 PM

Florida’s Republican governor split with President Trump’s plan to arm teachers.

Gov. Rick Scott said on “Fox News Sunday” that he opposes the idea of giving teachers guns, which Trump has been pushing since the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“I disagree with him,” he said. “I believe you’ve got to focus on people that are well trained law enforcement that are trained to do this.”

Scott has put out his own safety package, which proposes $450 million for school security including posting law enforcement officers at every school. Trump says shooters would be deterred if they knew some qualified teachers were packing, but his proposal has sparked a backlash from teachers, students, and education officials.

“I want our teachers to teach. And I want our law enforcement officers to be able to protect the students,” Scott said. “I want each group to focus on what they’re good at.”

The Florida governor has also proposed raising the legal age to buy any gun to 21 and banning the sale of bump stocks, which allow guns to fire as if they were automatic.

And his proposal includes a “red flag law,” which would allow families or authorities to go to court and request to get guns taken away from someone they think is a threat because of mental illness or threatening statements they’ve made.

“We’ve got to make sure we deal with the fact that there are people out there that have mental illness issues — they shouldn’t have access to a gun. If you threaten people or yourself, you shouldn’t have access to a gun,” he told Fox News.

Parkland shooting survivor urges students to boycott spring break

Scott has received an A-plus rating from the National Rifle Association, but is splitting with the gun group with some of his new proposals.

“I’m an NRA member. I believe in the Second Amendment,” he said Sunday. “I think most members of the NRA agree with me. This is logical. I’m sure there’s going to be some that disagree. But I’m a dad, I’m a granddad, and I’m a governor. I want my state to be safe. I want every child to be in a safe environment.”

But Scott will not support a ban on assault rifles, like the one used to shoot up the Parkland school.

“I’m not into banning specific weapons. I think what you have to do is ban specific people from having weapons,” he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3841348
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The media is doing a terrible job on the issue of armed school personnel. No surprise there, because armed school personnel could actually solve the problem. After all, solved problems don't make "news" and self-solutions don't grow the size and cost of government. The fake news is reporting that Trump calls for 'arming teachers", when he's never said that, he said allowing teachers, coaches, janitors, principals and other school personnel to volunteer to conceal/carry roles on campus. There would be reviews and training, and for the added endeavors and compliance, a bonus of some type. It wouldn't be the entire personnel, but a reasonable percentage to appropriately cover the premises if and when the normal security systems fail and an armed shooter or other type of murderer makes it on to the grounds or into the facilities. This would complement any armed security guards or police officers assigned to guard the schools that the schools can afford.

It seems to me, local schools will need to use their own common sense to better improve security systems and procedures and decide for themselves what to do if a murderer invades their schools. But whatever they decide, like any situation, the odds are that if the murderer gets into the school, they're going to kill students and faculty. So, the objective needs to be to keep them out to begin with.

Self-determination has always been an important concept in our country and one which Americans demonstrate great skill and capability to use successfully. It's a term we don't hear much about any more, so more people need to re-acquaint themselves with what that means and applyit to school safety and a number of other issues as well.

Self-determination means: the process by which a person controls their own life.

Self-determination is actually the foundation of the 2nd Amendment, because it's the root of a free nation of free people.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    The media is doing a terrible job on the issue of armed school personnel. No surprise there, because armed school personnel could actually solve the problem. After all, solved problems don't make "news" and self-solutions don't grow the size and cost of government.
    What a negative view you have of the press!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    It seems to me, local schools will need to use their own common sense to better improve security systems and procedures and decide for themselves what to do if a murderer invades their schools.
    Unfortunately the national discussion seems to be a one-size-fits-all approach. Some schools consist of no much more than a building or two. Others are comprised of sprawling campuses. So the security needs of the two types are not the same.

Also, a standard approach can be easily defeated. Any attacker who knows whatever school they attack has the same security, needs little knowledge about that school to compromise that security.

Self-determination has always been an important concept in our country and one which Americans demonstrate great skill and capability to use successfully.
    Didn't you get the memo? We no longer reward individual achievement. That would be unfair to the less talented. The objective is no longer to win, it is to just show up.

Self-determination means: the process by which a person controls their own life.
    What an unAmerican concept!