George Allen: 'Perhaps' a rematch vs. Webb in 2012?

Don't toy with us, Governor.

That's right, former governor and U.S. senator George Allen said today that he is thinking pretty seriously about public office, including a possible rematch against Democrat Jim Webb, who defeated Allen in 2006 by fewer than 10,000 votes.

It's so thrilling we can hardly type. Allen's been out and about quite a lot lately, prompting lots of gossip about his political plans. Turns out he might have some. Here's the money quote, which he offered when asked about a rematch:

"Many people have encouraged me to run," Allen said in a telephone interview. "Susan and I have heard that from many people. And the answer is: perhaps."

Allen said about 2006, "I don't like losing, you may have guessed." But he also said he has enjoyed his year out of public life tremendously, traveling with his wife and spending more time with his children than ever before. A rematch against Webb is still a long way off, and he'll do much more thinking between now and then, he said.

And if we had to guess, he'll be doing much more in the public eye. He talked expansively today, for example, about what he views as the missteps of Congress and President Obama on such issues as stimulus spending, "cap and tax," health reform and deficit reduction. Allen said today that he wasn't going to criticize specific "personalities"; given Webb's votes on health reform this week, let's assume that comes later.

"When you take stands on these issues, which are the agenda of Harry Reid or Speaker Nancy Pelosi, you're aligning yourself with folks who do not necessarily have the same views, philosophy or values of Virginians," Allen said.

In the meantime, we tried to broach the subject of the controversy that contributed to Allen's defeat in '06. Is "Macaca" ancient history? Will Virginians care in 2012? Allen didn't have much to say about that, other than, "You learn more from losing than from winning."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virgin ... iapolitics