Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gingrich raises alarm at event honoring those who stand up f

Gingrich raises alarm at event honoring those who stand up for freedom of speech

By RILEY YATES
    Union Leader Staff
    12 hours, 33 minutes ago

MANCHESTER – Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich yesterday said the country will be forced to reexamine freedom of speech to meet the threat of terrorism.

Gingrich, speaking at a Manchester awards banquet, said a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.

"We need to get ahead of the curve before we actually lose a city, which I think could happen in the next decade," said Gingrich, a Republican who helped engineer the GOP's takeover of Congress in 1994.

Gingrich spoke to about 400 state and local power brokers last night at the annual Nackey S. Loeb First Amendment award dinner, which fetes people and organizations that stand up for freedom of speech.

Gingrich sharply criticized campaign finance laws he charged were reducing free speech and doing little to fight attack advertising. He also said court rulings over separation of church and state have hurt citizens' ability to express themselves and their faith.

Last night's event, held at the Radisson Hotel-Center of New Hampshire, honored a Lakes Region newspaper and a former speaker of the House for work in favor of free expression.

The Citizen of Laconia was given the Nackey S. Loeb First Amendment Award, which is named after the longtime President and Publisher of the Union Leader Corporation, owner of New Hampshire's statewide newspaper.

The Citizen scrutinized the Newfound Area School Board beginning last year over a series of e-mail discussions held before public meetings. It also used the right-to-know law to uncover costly decisions by the town of Tilton this year.

Executive Editor John Howe said the decision to pursue the stories led to at least one advertiser canceling its business with the paper.

"We try to practice what we preach, even if it costs us business," Howe said. "And it has and it will in the future.

Also honored was Marshall Cobleigh, former House speaker and a longtime aide to former Gov. Meldrim Thomson.

Cobleigh introduced an amendment to the state Constitution defending free speech. He also helped shepherd the state's 1967 right-to-know law through the Legislature.

Gingrich's speech focused on the First Amendment, but in an interview beforehand, he also hit upon wide-ranging topics.

http://link.toolbot.com/unionleader.com/25408
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO.....Newt baby.

I'm NOT willing to give up one FREEDOM for YOUR incompetancy!!

YOU are a Globalist who's agenda is to create a North American Union and NOT to save American Sovereignty.

Another deceiver. But, then again, you never fooled me, Newt.
    I always knew you were a snake and now you've shed your skin for all to see.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Newt was always a fraud.

He talks big, but when it comes time for action he backs down and gets on the podium with Hillary Clinton.
    You shall not stand idly by your brother's blood. (Leviticus 19:16)

Mr. Gingrich:

I have just read your comments as reported by Riley Yates of the Union Leader on November 28, 2006.

The article reports that "Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich yesterday said the country will be forced to reexamine freedom of speech to meet the threat of terrorism. Gingrich, speaking at a Manchester awards banquet, said a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message."

I am weary of politicians telling us that we must sacrifice freedom after freedom and right after right to address terrorism.

To reduce Freedom of Speech in America would be to hand the terrorists a great victory.

While I want every American life protected, I would quickly lay down my own life to protect Freedom of Speech in America.

You say you are concerned about losing a city? You say that Freedom of Speech may cost us a city full of lives? I contend that the protection of our freedoms is worth the lives held in many cities and it would be better to lose millions of Americans than to destroy our freedoms and the things America has been admired for.

One of the greatest threats to American security is the loss of appreciation and high regard for our nation's principals and values of freedom.

How many Americans have already made the ultimate sacrifice of their lives to protect our way of life and the American way? Millions have paid that price in blood sir and for you to suggest or advocate that we curtail our freedoms and freedom of speech to address potential threats is an insult to all of the American servicemen and women that have put their lives on the line to protect our way of life.

I will not willingly live as a slave and servant that has been returned to the draconian oppression that existed prior to the development of America and other Democracies.

How many millions of lives are worth the cost of 300 million Americans living as free men and women that can speak without fear of retaliation from their own government.

Would I be considered a terrorist one day because I am willing to fight and die for my freedom and the freedom of all Americans around me? I am willing to fight all enemies to my nation foreign and domestic and anyone advocating that my freedoms should be curtailed is an enemy of America and the Republic for which our flag stands. You cannot have a Republic without freedom of speech.

I would appreciate an answer to these question sir.

William Gheen
    Americans for Legal Immigration PAC
    www.alipac.us

Over the past 230+ years, we've shed American BLOOD to ensure our FREEDOM. Families have given their loved ones and loved ones have given their lives.

What these people - these traitors - are saying is that American Blood has been shed for naught!!

The hypocracy is to have an American fight for Iraqi, Afghani or Bosnian FREEDOM while giving our American freedom away for so-called security while security is non existant with OPEN BORDERS & PORTS being inspected by FOREIGN entities.

UB

I think I posted this before, but in case some don't know or forgot, it's Newt Gingrich as in ..........

Council on Foreign Relations Membership List (F-K)

1389. GINGRICH NEWTON L R-GA,CFR '92,,,

UB
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

exactly

How can I support a war that is supposedly being fought to keep us "safe" and keep the terrorists out of this Country when the borders are more open than ever? The way I see it this so called "war" which is NOT by definition a war, is being used to destroy our freedom just as 9-11 has been used as a means to give more power to the executive branch. The elites/globalists are doing more to destroy this Country than the terrorist could ever hope to do.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Re: exactly

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    How can I support a war that is supposedly being fought to keep us "safe" and keep the terrorists out of this Country when the borders are more open than ever? The way I see it this so called "war" which is NOT by definition a war, is being used to destroy our freedom just as 9-11 has been used as a means to give more power to the executive branch. The elites/globalists are doing more to destroy this Country than the terrorist could ever hope to do.
    We must support a VICTORY or these maniacs will be further encouraged as to our so-called 'weakness' and be in your backyard and my backyard.

The problem is that this War is NOT being fought to WIN A VICTORY!
    We should demand VICTORY.....not a game of hide and seek. We should demand that our military be allowed to do what they do best.....WIN.

We should have killed Sadr with his first uprising way back when. Not 'negotiated' with an ignorant insane person who's strings are pulled by Iran, an enemy of the USA. We should have flattened Fallujah the first time instead of allowing the enemy to walk away. There're many things that we should have allowed the best & brightest military in the world to do. After all.........they're the ones taking the risks and those that I do know would prefer to be allowed to get the job done once and for all.......
    and that means crushing these insane maniacs.

UB.......can't post about the CFR & members enough
    We need to be reminded every so often, so thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by UB
    I think I posted this before, but in case some don't know or forgot, it's Newt Gingrich as in ..........

Council on Foreign Relations Membership List (F-K)

1389. GINGRICH NEWTON L R-GA,CFR '92,,,

UB
    Could you post the website (Or just PM it to me) that has the CFR lists?

I lost the URL...
    You shall not stand idly by your brother's blood. (Leviticus 19:16)

Re: exactly

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    I agree with you, OHFLY, on the above. Most definitely. But this goes so much deeper and further and we're fighting both the Globalists attempting to take our freedoms AND the islamic maniacs. We're caught between a rock and a hard place as they're 2 separate issues yet connected by the insecurity due to the greed of the One World Order nuts.

We must have Victory or we'll be in deeper than we already are. If we think the borders are sieves now letting 'some' through, we'll be ducking and diving with thousands walking in. That's why we must support ONLY A VICTORY and nothing less. Not bush admin's game of cat and mouse as a distraction to us and not the lib's surrender.

As well we must fight to stop these traitors from gaining more power while we lose our Freedom.

It's 2 pronged, OHFLY. The repubs & libs are using this to keep us from keeping our eye on the ball while they push their NAU agenda forward. Ain't a gonna work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast