May 09, 2010

Graduation Agonistes

Clarice Feldman
Comments 28

I love to share with family and friends the joy of watching their children graduate, but I find myself increasingly refusing to attend or even walking out in the middle of the ceremonies. It's not just that these ceremonies are often physically uncomfortable--one has to dress appropriately and sit on terribly designed folding chairs for a long time in what is often hot, humid weather. That is endurable. What is not, however, is that the speakers seem to all be rather radical posturers who view this not as an opportunity to share some welcome insights on the meaning of the event and good humor with the assembled guests but rather as yet another opportunity to narcissistically harangue us with their peculiar political outlook.

So it was with some good cheer that I read that leftist Danny Glover (why was he chosen anyway?) received some loud boos and open criticism when he refused to put his hand over his heart during the presentation of his nation's flag at Utah State University's graduation ceremonies.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports: http://www.sltrib.com/D=g/ci_15046518

Utah State University's 123rd commencement ceremony Saturday, featuring keynote speaker Danny Glover, will likely be remembered more for the actor's controversy than his celebrity.

During the color guard presentation of the American flag, a spectator yelled across the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum, "Put your hand above your heart, Glover!"

The five-time Emmy nominee told The Salt Lake Tribune after the ceremony that he doesn't typically cover his heart during flag ceremonies and he meant no disrespect.

"I was listening to the national anthem and paying attention," he said. "I probably wasn't the only one in there who didn't put a hand over their heart."

At the moment, universities are starting to feel the pinch of bad economic times, a perfect opportunity for long suffering alumnae, parents and friends who abhor the takeover of these institutions to make their feelings known by refusing to contribute to general funds -- targeting instead specific non PC programs -- to complain (as I have) about fund raising appeals accompanied by Obama worshiping newsletters and, yes, the refusal to attend ceremonial events where the speakers are openly contemptuous of their audience.

If you are a student reading this, why not join the fight by challenging the way universities dispense obligatory student fees and pick graduation speakers?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... istes.html