Thread: Harold Simmons

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Harold Simmons

You probably read about his death in a newspaper or at least heard it mentioned in the news over the weekend. If that's all you know about Harold Simmons, you did not get the full story.

The following is a brief statement from MRC President Brent Bozell that will give you a peek into the real life--and real impact--of this important Conservative and good man.

I've not read the official obituaries because they are predictable. "Billionaire." "Reclusive." "GOP donor." "Swift Boat Vets." "Industrialist." "Controversial." "Dallas, Texas." And there you have it: the death of a sinister figure driven by greed, the puppeteer manipulating the political process, a 21st century J.R. Ewing. (Or is it "Mr. Burns"?) If this is what you've read, you've read something written by someone who didn't know Harold Clark Simmons.

I met him in 1981 while pan-handling for some political cause or another. In 1986 I set out to form the Board of Directors for an organization I was endeavoring to launch, The Media Research Center. I visited Harold and made my request. Harold's classic answer: "OK, but only if I don't have to go to any meetings." And he never did, not in the 27 years he served on the board, ultimately as its Chairman. His participation was by phone or by proxy, and my visits were always in person. I'd bring him up to speed on things, he'd offer comments only if he felt it absolutely necessary to do so, took special interest in the financial reports, and always thanked me for the visit.
    Harold gave vast amounts of his fortune to hospitals and universities. In the days to come we'll learn more as his estate is settled. I suspect we will be stunned. But why the millions upon millions to political and public policy causes? What could a man worth such a vast fortune -- billions -- stand to gain? Nothing, really. Except the satisfaction knowing he was helping the most important thing to him after his faith and his family: his country. Ronald Reagan used to refer to the average American who did his bit for his country as the "American hero." As average billionaires go, Harold was an American hero.

We may not all be billionaires like Harold Simmons was but we can -- and should -- emulate his selflessness, decisive action, and unwavering commitment to our great nation. 
    Sincerely,

The MRC Action Team

Moved to Other Topics.