Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Health care reform foes don't want calm debate

USA TODAY Opinions (Letters to the Editor)

Health care reform foes don't want calm debate

Bernice Durbin - Crossville, Tenn.

Thanks, USA TODAY, for the coverage of the health care debate Monday. The article "Passions flare up at health care forums" (News), the editorial "Misinformation, mayhem mar debate on health care," and the piece by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., send one clear message: There is a need for debate and calm discussion, but the foes of reform don't want it (" 'Un-American' attacks can't derail health care debate," The Forum).

(On health care: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has said, "We are closer than ever before to the reform . . . and we’re going to get the job done."/Lauren Victoria Burke, AP)

Why? Because they know their arguments are groundless and based solely on greed.

What mystifies me the most is the total lack of compassion for those who need this reform. All I hear is a lot of whining about "my insurance," "my taxes," "my doctor."

What about those who have no doctor or insurance? Where is the concern for them?

No matter what their party or opinion, I implore my fellow citizens not to allow our democratic process to be derailed by a few greedy zealots. Think before you shout.
    -------------------------------------------------

Rhetoric is un-American

Rick D. Shepherd - Hickory, N.C.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, in her USA TODAY opinion piece, called those citizens loudly protesting against health care reform "un-American."

During President George W. Bush's administration, liberal protesters demonstrated against him and the war on terror.

They were often disruptive and, it seems, actively sought to undermine and demoralize our troops. Did Pelosi label them "un-American"?

This commentary is purely partisan rhetoric.

Pelosi is seeking to stop certain citizens from exercising their right to free speech. That is un-American.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Pelosi not trusted

John F. Robin - Westmont, Ill.

The American people don't trust House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and we don't trust the health care plan that Congress is trying to ram down our throats.

Increasingly, Americans are horrified by the federal government's insatiable hunger to dominate the health care industry and other private sector industries. We're appalled that our government has become so overreaching and so reckless in piling unsustainable debt upon future generations. And now it seems to be shedding any pretense that its members are required to respond to their constituents' concerns.

President Obama, Pelosi and all members of Congress, should take heed.

Their actions are causing cries of alarm throughout the nation from citizens who see that government is out of control, deaf and menacing to the future prosperity of the U.S. Continue to tread on us, and we will strike back. We will sweep you from office and find new public servants who will represent our concerns.

Posted at 12:10 AM/ET, August 12, 2009 in Health care/Insurance - Letters, Letter to the editor
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can post a comment on the USA TODAY Online site at this link:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/08/ ... .html#more
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It's O.K. to oppose ANYTHING.

If you find it necessary to tell lies to get other people to oppose it YOU might have a problem.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They just want to derail the debate. Most of these people are not just regular citizens. Their claims are too outrageous. I think they are hired by insurance companies to disrupt the process...and to outyell those in favor of reform. Some are regular citizens who are just buying the propaganda, hook line and sinker. They are not really thinking about what they are hearing and saying.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    It's O.K. to oppose ANYTHING.

If you find it necessary to tell lies to get other people to oppose it YOU might have a problem.
    Yes it is OK to oppose anything, but there is always more than one side to any story. One side should not be drowning out the other sides so they cant be heard. What they are doing is disrupting the democratic process. Sure they have a right to be heard.....but everyone should be heard. Not only are they drowning out the voices of others, but they are confusing most of the population with their lies.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How big would you like your government to be?

How far do you trust your government?

What has your government done right lately?

For a burger today, I would gladly re-pay you tomorrow.