Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Here's how to dispose of broken compact fluorescent bulb

Here's how to dispose of broken compact fluorescent bulb

After last week's article on compact fluorescent bulbs, many of you wanted more than a web address that explains what to do if you break a compact fluorescent bulb. (Because of mercury content, it's against Minnesota law to throw these bulbs in the trash.)

By John Ewoldt, Star Tribune

Last update: August 22, 2007 – 5:01 PM

After last week's article on compact fluorescent bulbs, many of you wanted more than a web address that explains what to do if you break a compact fluorescent bulb. (Because of mercury content, it's against Minnesota law to throw these bulbs in the trash.)

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency suggests the following if a bulb is broken:

1. Wear disposable rubber or plastic gloves and carefully scoop up the glass pieces and powder (containing mercury) with stiff paper or cardboard.

2. Wipe the area with a damp paper towel or wet-wipe to pick up small shards and powder. Sticky tape such as masking tape can also be used on carpet. Do not vacuum until all visible powder and shards are picked up.

3. Place all of the shards, powder and cleanup materials (gloves, paper, towels, wipes and tape) in a sealable plastic bag. Keep the bag in an outdoor storage spot until it can be taken to your county's hazardous-waste facility.

4. Wash your hands, ventilate the room and vacuum-clean.

For more information, call 651-296-6300 or 1-800-657-3864 or go to www.pca.state.mn.us/publications/w-hhw4-30.pdf.

JOHN EWOLDT

http://americaneconomicalert.org/news_i ... ID=2796956
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I'll continue to use regular bulbs and stock-up if they threaten to ban them. I'm not buying into this pc scam. When Gore and the Hollywoodites stop their voracious comsumptive lifestyles, give-up the mansions, heated pools, limos, private jets, climate-controlled horse stables, etc., I might reconsider. I don't think God put Gore and his globull warming church in charge of what the temperature should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    I'll continue to use regular bulbs and stock-up if they threaten to ban them. I'm not buying into this pc scam. When Gore and the Hollywoodites stop their voracious comsumptive lifestyles, give-up the mansions, heated pools, limos, private jets, climate-controlled horse stables, etc., I might reconsider. I don't think God put Gore and his globull warming church in charge of what the temperature should be.
    I agree. Lets all handle mercury, after all its good for you and the environment .
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Bulbs

Let Al Gore the Global warming scam/myth god and his followers use them.
    But I will sell these idiots all the carbon credits they want.....as long as they buy with cash or money order.
    Deport Now - Get your useless invading rearend out of my country!