Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic population swells past white population in N.M.

Hispanic population swells past white population in N.M.

By Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY
    Posted 11m ago |

The country's shift to the Southwest is going strong in New Mexico despite the blow of the recession, the 2010 Census shows.

New Mexico's population grew 13.2% to 2.06 million from 2000 to 2010, according to the Census report out Tuesday.

Seventeen of the 20 largest cities grew. Rio Rancho saw the biggest boom: 69% to 87,521. Albuquerque remained the state's most populous city, growing 21.7% to 545,852. Las Cruces, the second-most populous city, grew 31.4% to 97,618.

NEW MEXICO: Local county, city data
    CENSUS NUMBERS: Interactive map shows your state, county, locality

Sixteen of the 20 largest counties saw growth. Sandoval County, home to Rio Rancho, had the biggest increase: 46.3% to 131,561 residents.

Demographer Jack Baker says people have been flooding into Sandoval County and Rio Rancho in response to an aggressive marketing campaign for those two areas.

"What we've really seen is a tremendous explosion of growth really between 2003, tapering off in 2007 and … into the (2010) Census count," says Baker, state representative for the federal-state program on population estimates at the University of New Mexico.

Many newcomers are young families migrating within the state, Baker says.

William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution, a Washington research organization, also credited the rise to the growth in the Hispanic population.

For the first time in the state's history, the Hispanic numbers surpassed those of non-Hispanic whites, according to Census data. Hispanics now represent 46.3% of New Mexico's population, or 953,403, a 24.6% increase. Non-Hispanic whites are 40.5% of the population, or 833,810, a growth of 2.5%.

"A lot of the growth in the Latino community is really attributed to birth," said Liany Arroyo, associate director for education and children's policy at the National Council of La Raza, a Washington organization that lobbies for Hispanic Americans. "We know that the Latino community as a whole has larger families on average."

Frey says of New Mexico: "Always a heavily Hispanic state, its loss of whites suggests this will be the case well into the future."

Take a closer look at state-by-state Census data, including population and race details where you live.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/cen ... nsus_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Liany Arroyo is right! Births to illegal aliens as well as unfettered illegal immigration. Awesome, that's great!

Banned
    "A lot of the growth in the Latino community is really attributed to birth," said Liany Arroyo, associate director for education and children's policy at the National Council of La Raza, a Washington organization that lobbies for Hispanic Americans. "We know that the Latino community as a whole has larger families on average."

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!

Re: Hispanic population swells past white population in N.M.

[quote="JohnDoe2"]Hispanic population swells past white population in N.M.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.............
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

NM is on its way to third-world status.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does that make whites the minority now. If so, can I start getting all the freebies thaty only the minority get?

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12
    Does that make whites the minority now. If so, can I start getting all the freebies thaty only the minority get?
    Hmmmmmm.............where do I sign up?? It's our turn to live off of them! Let's see how they like it!!
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>