Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    The Self Sustainable Life and How to Live It-The Complete Back to Basics Guide by John Seymour. This is a fascinating book that tells you everything about growing your own groceries on an acre or less to how to raise rabbits for food and everything in between. Absolutely fascinating with some great illustrations.
    What's your options where that isn't legal? These are wonderful ideas IF you already have it and HAD the money to have all these things.......tell me what to do and how wonderful it is when all those extra aren't an option.
    Im not understanding the question. Was it rhetorical?
    As far as the book goes, these are obviously things that need to be built up and is not instant. They are talking food riots in 2012-still four years away, but plenty of time to start storing reserves. The book wasn't written in mind that ALL readers would take ALL the suggestions. Even if only two or three points of the book were utilized-that counts for a lot. A self sustainable life is possible as long as you have a little land, some hard work and some patience.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't mean to be negative, but this is a prime example of how our idea of poor doesn't come close to real poverty. My parents....raised during the depression gave me wonderful tips as well.....unfortunatly they are illegal now.

Standard household equipment isn't mandated to have fancy equipment, a rotor tiller for tough ground, ELECTRIC kitchenaid appliances, money to spend on a a fancy stove or additives that cost more to enrich the ground than the Chinese can dump in for free.

Lets pretend we got nothing....tell me from there.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Im not understanding the question. Was it rhetorical?
    You get by day to day....you don't have exra money to put this aside but now you have to survive. Got the kitchen aid blender but your living in the streets.......now what?

I'm not trying to be negative.....I KNOW how to get by when I have everything....tell me how to when I don't.

The book wasn't written for poor people, although Im sure they could take a lesson from it as we all could. It was written for those with a true desire to live a self sustainable life.

Also, for anyone interested, here is an interesting video on living a self sustained life:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLv5lrkOh-M

In Hawaii, they call in "Pono".

Got one for poor people?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Got one for poor people?
    If I find one will they be able to afford it?

Maybe take some of these ideas to heart now - so you won't be poor and hungry later? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    The brand of Flour makes a difference. It has to do with the gluten content. Buy King Arthur Flour, it is commonly found at grocery stores.

Also, when making bread, there is a difference between Margerine and Butter. Margrine contains water, butter contains fat. Water and fat act differently during baking.

Lastly, don't over work your dough. It's not playdough and doens't need to be handled too much. Over working makes the bread tough and flat.

Also, you don't have to have a $200 mixer with dough hooks. Granny used a wooden spoon and did just fine without them.

Dixie
    King Arthur flour is the best. I just ordered some. Half the order is wheat flour and the other half is all purpose. Baking bread is not that hard. And if kneading is not your thing you can always make beer bread....not as good but pretty good. I dont have any expensive mixer...I do the whole thing by hand. But it sure tastes....sooooo good.

The brand of Flour makes a difference. It has to do with the gluten content. Buy King Arthur Flour, it is commonly found at grocery stores.
    I didn't know that.....gonna have to give it a try. Does it work in bread machines? I have one but to be honest I don't find it as good as doing it by hand. I've not been very successful at it, but I had a friend who was. Never heard baking and cooking described quite like that. Might be my problem.....not very exact in baking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12