Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Honoring Soldiers: "A small token of appreciation"

10,000 football tickets donated to Fort Bliss
    Times staff report
    Article Launched: 01/14/2008 05:22:06 PM MST

Ten thousand tickets to the upcoming Texas Vs. the Nation football game were donated to Fort Bliss soldiers today.
    "We are very proud to be able to donate the tickets to the men and women of Fort Bliss to attend the game," said Gary W. Hanson, director of Corporate Communications at Western Refining. "It is just a small token of appreciation from our part to the many great things these men and women do in protecting our country and representing us around the world."

The second annual all-star college football game will be played at 3 p.m. Feb. 2 at the Sun Bowl. The game features top college seniors from Texas and around the nation.

More than 40 scouts are expected to attend the event to sign up promising candidates to play professionally.

"We set a record last year," said Kenny Hansmire, Texas Vs. the Nation chairman. "We had 80 kids signing contracts out of our team. I firmly believe this year, 105 out of 115 (players) will be signing NFL contracts."

Buddy Ryan, former Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears coach, will lead team Nation. He will come back and defend his title against Gene Stallings, former Alabama and Texas A&M head football coach, who will lead team Texas. Ryan beat coach Mike Price last year in the Texas Vs. the Nation game 24-20.

More than 40,000 football fans are expected to attend the game this year.

During the game, a Bliss soldier will be allowed to call the 30th play of the game. If the soldier's call can get the ball

across the goal line, $10,000 will be donated to the Wounded Warriors Program.
    Team Bliss will also have the opportunity to meet with "NFL beauties," Hansmire said. These include Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Times and place will be announced where soldiers can meet, greet and obtain autographs.

Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Rodgers, Fort Bliss command sergeant major, said he is looking forward to the game.

"As Soldiers, we live and fight for good weekend football, so we expect to see a really good game between Texas and the Nation." Rodgers said.

Soldiers interested in tickets for the game should go through their unit representative who will be selected by the command sergeant major for brigade-size units. Other organizations will be notified by the Public Affairs Office project officer for pickup arrangements.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_7969705
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    God Bless Battle Buddies... Enjoy the game and know you are in our hearts and prayers
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)