Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

House passes largest tax increase in U.S. history

Blunt: Majority Goes on the Record in Backing Largest Tax Increase in U.S. History

WASHINGTON, March 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

House Republican Whip Roy Blunt (Mo.) issued the following statement today after all but 16
    Democrats in the House went on record in support of a 2009 budget seeking
    to raise taxes on American families by $683 billion -- far and away the
    single largest tax increase in the country's history:

"By trying to raise taxes on everything from starting a family to
    starting a family business, Democrats believe they'll be pulling money out
    of thin air to finance their reckless spending agenda. But a $683 billion
    tax hike on American families is not imposed in an economic vacuum -- and
    if this budget were ever to become law, it wouldn't take long for real
    Americans to face real hardships because of it."

"But the majority's budget wasn't the only vision of the future with
    which we were presented today. We also had the chance to vote for a
    responsible budget plan authored by Rep. Paul Ryan -- a blueprint that
    would've required Congress to rein in spending, resist raising taxes, and
    finally take serious, legitimate steps toward reforming out-of-control
    entitlements. Instead, Democrats cast their lot with a plan that imposes
    the largest tax increase in American history -- even as they remained
    eerily silent on the impending entitlement tsunami.

"If a budget request is a blueprint for the future, I don't know the
    future envisioned in this plan is one most Americans can either afford to
    live in, or expect to prosper from. It's my hope this bloated budget gets
    slimmed down in the Senate -- or better yet, re-written in a way that
    actually does right by the American taxpayer."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dear Friends,

Today, the House of Representatives approved the Democrats’ Fiscal Year 2009 Budget, a $3.2 trillion spending plan that calls for $683 billion in increased taxes.

I strongly oppose this fiscally irresponsible proposal because it spends far too much money and will cause major harm to Western North Carolina families.

According to economists at the Heritage Foundation, a widely-respected think tank, it will depress economic growth in the ten counties of the Tenth District by $206 million dollars. Worse, this hit to our economy is projected to kill over 2,000 jobs in our region.

The $683 billion tax increase contained in this budget is the largest in American history, and will force the average taxpayer in Western North Carolina to pay an additional $2,631 in taxes.

Our region is having a hard enough time dealing with rising gas prices, skyrocketing healthcare costs, and the disastrous effects of bad trade deals. The last thing we need right now is for Washington politicians to add insult to injury with more wasteful spending and a job killing, economy crushing tax hike.

As a member of the Budget Committee, I offered an amendment to improve the budget by eliminating this immoral tax hike. Unfortunately, Democrats rejected it on a straight party line vote.

Before the final vote on this irresponsible budget, Republicans offered a fiscally sound alternative that holds down wasteful spending and balances the federal budget by 2012 without raising taxes.

During tough economic times, families must tighten their belts to balance their budgets; and I think the federal government should do what every family must do. I believe it is immoral for the government to take anymore of your hard earned money to fund more wasteful Washington bureaucracy.

It is an honor to serve you in the United States Congress, and please feel free to contact me if there is ever anything I can do for you.

God Bless,

Congressman Patrick McHenry, NC 10th District
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Funny how I didn't get a nice letter from my rep. Brad Miller like zeezil got from Pat McHenry. Of course I expect Brad Miller voted FOR the tax hikes and wasteful spending. Business as usual for him.

If this is accurate, this tax increase would be 683 applied to 300 million Americans at a breakdown of... $2,276 per person...but wait.

Not everyone in America pays full taxes. Sure, everyone pays sales tax and some value added taxes buy many Americans pay no income taxes.

How and where is this tax increase going to be applied?

W

I'm confused. I thought they said they could not raise our taxes until 2010?