Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

House To Raise Per Barrel Oil Tax 400% - WE Lose

US House votes quadrupling of per-barrel oil tax

Friday May 28, 2010

The US House of Representatives on Friday voted to more than quadruple a per-barrel oil tax that fills a special trust fund to pay for damages from major spills like the Gulf of Mexico disaster.

The measure called for raising the eight-cent-per-barrel tax to 34 cents, raising nearly 12 billion dollars over 10 years for the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which currently holds about 1.5 billion dollars.

The legislation, which passed by a 215-204 margin, also aimed to raise the cap on per-incident trust fund expenditures from one billion dollars to five billion dollars.

Some analysts have warned that the price tag for the catastrophic oil spill that resulted from the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon offshore drilling platform run by BP could top 14 billion dollars.

BP is legally responsible for all cleanup costs, but is only liable for up to 75 million dollars in economic damages -- a cap that vanishes if the British energy giant is found to have been negligent or engaged in willful misconduct.

To the extent that costs above that are not covered by BP -- which has vowed to pay all "legitimate" claims -- up to one billion dollars of the additional damages could come about of the trust fund.

The legislation approved Friday would raise that ceiling to five billion dollars.

The Senate was expected to pass a different version of the bill when it returns from next week's break, meaning that the two chambers would have to agree on a compromise version to send to President Barack Obama.

The House-passed measure's main goal was to extend a series of provisions aimed at battling stubbornly high US unemployment and extend jobless benefits to late November.

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/US_House_v ... 82010.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stubornly high unemployment my butt. Nobama has caused this by his incompetentness. He has created the high unemployment. It is not being stuborn. In all my 63 years, I have never seen and heard of so many poeple being dissatisfied and down right angry and scared. This ignoramous is the worst, I mean worst president, except for Wilson, that we have ever had. I would even go so far as to say he is worse than Jimmy Carter, and that is saying alot.

The measure called for raising the eight-cent-per-barrel tax to 34 cents, raising nearly 12 billion dollars over 10 years for the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which currently holds about 1.5 billion dollars.
    Never waste a crisis.

I fear this will just become another "pot of money" for the social welfare programs that will be depleted and have to be "replenished" if it is needed.

This Social Democrat controlled government has been wanting to increase the taxes on gas to put it at the same cost point as Europe for years and now BP negligence has given them a convenient excuse.

Reports are beginning to surface that BP was aware of the faulty equipment over a year ago, yet the "tax" was being pushed through almost as soon as the headlines broke.

I hope that everyone that is not on the dole has enough left to buy the basic necessities of life, because they are reinstating the death tax also.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn