Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

How can U.S. Economy Recover When People Have Less Money

How can the U.S. Economy Recover When its People Have Less Money?

Economics / Great Depression II
    Dec 02, 2010 - 10:18 AM

How in the world is the U.S. economy going to recover if the American people have less money to spend? Millions of American families are heading into 2011 knowing that either they won't be seeing an increase in income or that their incomes will be smaller next year.

Long-term unemployment benefits are being cut off for millions of Americans, federal workers are having their wages frozen, Social Security recipients are not going to get a cost of living increase for 2011, taxes are going up for the vast majority of U.S. families and employers are forcing pay cuts on their workers across the United States. Meanwhile, the cost of food just keeps going up, the cost of gas just keeps going up and the cost of health care just keeps going up. So what are millions of American families that are already stretched to the limit going to do when they have less money in 2011?

Millions of unemployed American workers are heading for a very bleak 2011. Unless Congress acts, and there is no indication that is going to happen, approximately 2 million Americans will stop receiving unemployment checks over the next couple months.

The government is really between a rock and a hard place on this one. After all, who is so heartless that they actually want to cut off the little financial support that millions of deeply struggling American families are depending on? Not extending the long-term unemployment benefits is going to mean more Americans are going to lose their homes, more Americans are going to go bankrupt and more Americans will end up in tent cities.

But as CNN recently reported, extending the long-term unemployment benefits through next year would cost the federal government $56.4 billion that we simply do not have. The U.S. government is absolutely drowning in red ink and cannot afford to just chuck another 56 billion dollars more debt on to the pile.

At this point even Barack Obama is taking some small steps to get federal spending under control. He has just announced a plan to freeze the pay of federal government workers for the next two years.

So how are federal government workers handling the news that they will not be seeing any raises for the next coupe of years?

Not well. In fact, many of them are absolutely furious.

But can you blame them?

How would you feel if your wages were just frozen for two years and yet the price of everything just continues to keep going up?

Meanwhile, the Social Security Administration announced last month that there will be no cost of living adjustments for Social Security benefits once again next year.

According to the government, the cost of living is not going up.

So now our seniors will just have to stretch those meager checks even more.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, now a whole slew of tax increases is coming. The U.S. Congress is busy debating which (if any) of the Bush tax cuts that they are going to allow to expire, but the truth is that the Bush tax cuts are only a small part of the story. There are so many tax increases scheduled to go into effect in 2011 that it is hard to keep track of them all. In fact, there are many (myself included) that are calling 2011 "the year of the tax increase".

But it is not just the federal government that is raising taxes. In the past two years, 36 of the 50 U.S. states have jacked up taxes or fees.

In addition, many local governments are so strapped for cash that they are going to absolutely ridiculous lengths to raise cash. For example, from now on if you are caught jaywalking in Los Angeles you will be slapped with a $191 fine.

This kind of thing is happening all over America. Police departments are being turned into revenue raising operations. Police are so busy writing tickets that they barely have any time to investigate actual crimes anymore.

Unfortunately, all of this latest news comes at a time when incomes are already down from coast to coast. Median household income in the U.S. declined from $51,726 in 2008 to $50,221 in 2009. Some areas are declining faster than others, but the truth is that almost all areas of the United States have been seeing incomes go down. In fact, of the 52 largest metro areas in the United States, only the city of San Antonio did not see a decline in median household income during 2009.

Times are getting really tough. Employers all over America are forcing their employees to take pay cuts. Even some of the most prominent unions are agreeing to unprecedented concessions. For example, just check out what The New York Times says is going on over at General Motors....

In its most recent union contract, General Motors is paying new employees $14 an hour, half the rate it pays its long-term workers.

Unfortunately, American families are going to have to try to do more with less during a time when prices are going to be going up. Most economists agree that all of the quantitative easing that the Federal Reserve is doing is going to cause inflation to start increasing significantly at some point. In fact, some of the top Federal Reserve officials have publicly stated that they want to purposely raise the rate of inflation as a way to stimulate the economy.

One of the great things about Americans is our relentless sense of optimism, but it is time for a major reality check. Our economic system is in an advanced state of decay. Our nation is a sea of red ink from coast to coast, we continue to consume tens of billions more than we produce every single month and we are rapidly being transformed into a post-industrial wasteland.

The economy is not going to be "getting better" in the long-term. Unless fundamental changes are made to our economic system, we are going to continue to speed toward a horrific economic collapse.

The storm clouds are gathering on the horizon and time is running out. It is imperative that we all make the most out of every single day because night is coming soon.

Michael Snyder

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article24721.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

well gov now you pay is going to Freeze & Obama what about you . or is it still the same with you . you gov have a good pay check every two week. don't worry you can live on what you get pay . all your pay should have been freeze long be for this , it would never come to this if we did not have the illeagl immigrant in our country . they had our jobs & welfar. & every thing that why we are In a hole & you Obama let it happen . now you in all in the Wh . you Pay should Freeze for a long time . Our SSC that all we live on . i love to see what you would all do if you In the Wh if you live ON SSC like the rest Of us . you could Not do it
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by southBronx
    well gov now you pay is going to Freeze & Obama what about you . or is it still the same with you . you gov have a good pay check every two week. don't worry you can live on what you get pay . all your pay should have been freeze long be for this , it would never come to this if we did not have the illeagl immigrant in our country . they had our jobs & welfar. & every thing that why we are In a hole & you Obama let it happen . now you in all in the Wh . you Pay should Freeze for a long time . Our SSC that all we live on . i love to see what you would all do if you In the Wh if you live ON SSC like the rest Of us . you could Not do it
    Dude, you have no clue what you are talking about. I'm 40minutes south of DC. The average government worker, after 15-20 years, makes around 60k. The Gov has ALWAYS paid less, its the benefits that made it worth the job.

I'm talking about people who have STAYED in their job for 15+ years, they have the experience and knowledge back it up, making around 60k a year.

You want to whine about Gov. employees making 100k+ you need to look further up the chain. The Czars and their "friends" are the ones making the big money. The AVERAGE Gov. employee does NOT.

The economy is not going to be "getting better" in the long-term. Unless fundamental changes are made to our economic system, we are going to continue to speed toward a horrific economic collapse.
    Correct. Except we're already in economic collapse. We have to reverse the policies that caused this disaster and do so immediately.

How to Fix the US Economy

1. stop illegal immigration - Saves $300 billion a year
    2. pass the FairTax - Saves $265 billion a year
    3. protect our trade - Brings home $800 billion a year
    4. legalize/regulate/tax under 2 the illegal drug trade - Brings home $300 billion a year
    5. drill baby drill - Brings home $400 billion a year

You want to know where our money went and why we don't have any? Just look at 1 to 5 above. We waste it on illegal aliens and tax compliance and export it to foreign countries every year. It doesn't take long under these policies to bankrupt a nation, not even ours.

When you export and waste over $2 trillion a year of a $14 trillion a year economy, how long did you think it would take before we dropped under sustainable levels of monetary supply?

Well ... duh.

Now do you understand why the Federal Reserve is printing money faster than we can count it?

Well ... hellooo!

When you export and waste your dollars on foreign nationals, trade deficits and tax compliance, they never come back to you. You will never see them again. They're gone. Now you're short of the dollars you had, so you have to print new ones just to replace the ones you earned and threw away or you starve to death. That' why the Federal Reserve keeps printing money like a bunch of drunks playing monopoly.

Well .... wake the hell up and fix it. This is your country, you have every right and duty to kick illegal aliens out of the country and demand a FairTax, restoration of protected trade policies, a legal/regulated/taxed under the FairTax illegal drug trade and a drill baby drill program that will make the Saudis heads spin right off their shoulders.

So ... what are you going to do about it? Keep on whining and clamoring for food stamps and unemployment checks or stomp the hell out of this Congress until it does what YOU want it to do?

I know where I stand. I've got boots and spurs on to kick butt until we fix this economy starting with the 5 steps I've outlined. If you don't understand why each of these are the solutions, then ask questions so we can answer them to help you understand what must be done.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The American dream is disappearing with outsourcing and manufacturing losses just that simple, while those in power understand they are more concerned over high fast stock growth in there portfolio. Until we correct this with true patriots in control then all is lost.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

sugarhighwolf wrote:

Dude, you have no clue what you are talking about. I'm 40minutes south of DC. The average government worker, after 15-20 years, makes around 60k. The Gov has ALWAYS paid less, its the benefits that made it worth the job.

I'm talking about people who have STAYED in their job for 15+ years, they have the experience and knowledge back it up, making around 60k a year.

You want to whine about Gov. employees making 100k+ you need to look further up the chain. The Czars and their "friends" are the ones making the big money. The AVERAGE Gov. employee does NOT.
    The political appointees make the big bucks and are put into postions of power. A freeze means nothing to "favored" employees as they will just receive step promotions in grade instead of raises. They didn't freeze promotions.

I lived in DC a long time too..
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

sugarhighwolf, how many govt. employees are suffering layoffs like the public sector? From everything I've read of late govt. agencies are expanding while private sector jobs are disappearing.

35 years ago if I could have been convinced that taking a govt. job guaranteed lifetime employment I would have screamed sign me up!

But then again 35 years ago such jobs paid less than similar jobs in the private sector. Now though they are paid more. How the Heck did that happen?

For instance here in NYC a "Sanitation Engineer" makes as much as a union construction worker. Oh wait, did I use the politically correct term for Garbage man? It's so bad that Toll Booth Collectors are making even more than that!

The system has been corrupted and I don't appreciate any defense of it.

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The private sector is the only thing that will save our economy. Growing the government by add thousands of new federal jobs is simply taking us down the road to ruin. Who pays for those government jobs? Taxpayers. We were once a great manufacturing economy and now we have become a service economy. We have the third highest corporate tax rate in the world. Is there any wonder why business is going overseas? Our economy is in a death spiral and unless we take control of our out-of-control government we are finished as a great nation. Welcome to the new banana republic of the United States.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836