Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Idaho Senator arrested in airport bathroom for lewd conduct

Senator arrested in airport

Associated Press - August 27, 2007 6:54 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Court records show that Idaho Senator Larry Craig pleaded guilty earlier this month to misdemeanor disorderly conduct after being arrested in June at a Minneapolis airport.

A court docket from Hennepin County shows Craig pleading guilty to the disorderly conduct charge on August 8. In return, the court dismissed a charge of gross misdemeanor interference to privacy.

Records show the veteran Republican senator was fined $1,000, plus $575 in fees. He was placed on unsupervised probation for a year. A sentence of 10 days in the county workhouse was stayed.

The story was first published today in Roll Call ... a Capitol Hill newspaper. The newspaper's Web site says Craig was arrested by a plainclothes officer investigating complaints of lewd conduct in the men's room at the airport.

In a statement issued today, Craig sys he was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

Craig, who is up for re-election next year, says at the time of the incident he complained to police that - quote - "they were misconstruing my actions."

Craig says in hindsight he should have pled guilty ... but was - quote - "trying to handle this matter myself quickly."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Glob ... =menu227_8

Of all places to weenie wag, an airport with security everywhere, if he was from mass or ca he would be guaranteed reelection
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If he was a democrat from anywhere, he would get re-elected

Page: August 27, 2007 Section: Editorials / Main section: Media Resources / United States Senator Serving the Citizens of Idaho

Larry Craig
    Editorialhttp://craig.senate.gov/press/

Dan Whiting (202)224-8078
    Sid Smith (20342-7985
    For Immediate Release:
    August 27, 2007

Statement of Senator Craig:
    BOISE, ID - Idaho Senator Larry Craig made the following statement in response to the Roll Call story this afternoon:

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

"I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."

[30]
    There is also a printer-friendly version (PDF) available.
    home portal contact me autopilot en español text menu

About Senator Craig

My Biography Committee assignments My Mission & Goals My Key Priorities Schedule Highlights
    Constituent Services

How to contact me Locate my offices Order US Capitol flags Washington, DC tours Capital Coffees Casework & assistance Internships in my office Senate Page appointments US Academy nominations Project SafePlace
    Media Resources

Press Release Archive Editorials Archive My Official Photo MediaClips Library Current Event Gallery Idaho Newsreel
    Update Center

eNEWS Headquarters Washington Report RSS News Feed Podcasts My Podchat
    Senate Business

Hot Topics Floor Journal Fact or Fiction? Senate Schedule My Legislation Floor Statements Issue Briefings & Reports Research Tools
    All about Idaho

Idaho Initiatives Idaho Newsreel Landmarks & Leaders Idaho Facts & Symbols Idaho Women in History Gem State Links
    Site Tools & Resources

About this site Search my site Sitemap of all pages Forms Library My Privacy policy

http://craig.senate.gov/releases/pr082707a.cfm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He was placed on unsupervised probation for a year
    What that heck does that mean. How can somebody be on probation if they are not supervised? To me that just means they let him go.
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

"I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."
    I double-dog dare him to file a motion to withdraw his guilty plea. Most courts will entertain such a motion within 30 days of the plea. He can then go to trial and defend the charge. He can't have it both ways - enter a guilty plea and then maintain his innocence.

Further, any person who is dumb enough to plead guilty and then say he 'should have had the advice of counsel' does not need to be sitting in U.S. Senate making laws.

Further, any person who is dumb enough to plead guilty and then say he 'should have had the advice of counsel' does not need to be sitting in U.S. Senate making laws.
    Touche' Nouveauxpoor, touche'
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!

Published August 27, 2007

After arrest, immigration defeat, Craig's future less certain
    JOHN MILLER

U.S. Sen. Larry Craig was forced into the Senate minority by voters, defeated on immigration by colleagues and put on probation for his conduct in an airport restroom. Now analysts predict he'll skip running for a fourth term in 2008.

The 62-year-old Republican was arrested June 11 by a plainclothes officer investigating complaints of lewd conduct in a men's restroom at the Minneapolis airport. On Aug. 8, Craig pleaded guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct, which includes "offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous or noisy conduct."

Craig said Monday he shouldn't have pleaded guilty; others say he shouldn't have waited to react until the incident surfaced Monday in the Washington, D.C.-based newspaper Roll Call.

Earlier this year, Craig said he'd wait until September to announce whether he'd run again. Craig declined to be interviewed for this story.

Craig has spent 27 years in Congress, including the last 17 in the Senate.

The last 10 months have brought political turmoil. First, the GOP lost its majority in both the U.S. Senate and House, forcing Craig from his Veterans Committee chairmanship, and in June, Craig was trounced in his latest bid to pass immigration reform, a stance that alienated many Idaho voters. That was the same month as his arrest.

"Adding this to the mix complicates his decision at best, and might cause him to rethink his future in the U.S. Senate," said Jim Weatherby, a professor emeritus at Boise State University who has known Craig since they were students in the late 1960s at the University of Idaho in Moscow.

Craig, who last year backed a failed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, is married. He has adopted three children from his wife's previous marriage.

Roll Call cited a report by undercover officer Sgt. Dave Karsnia after an encounter in which Karsnia was seated in a restroom stall next to a stall occupied by Craig. Karsnia described Craig tapping his foot, which Karsnia said he "recognized as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct."

With Craig's guilty plea, the Hennepin County, Minn., court dismissed a charge of gross misdemeanor interference to privacy. Craig paid $575 in fines and fees and was placed on unsupervised probation for a year, according to court records. A 10-day county workhouse sentence was stayed.

The arrest comes after Craig last October labeled allegations from a gay-rights activist that he's had homosexual relationships "completely ridiculous."

In a statement Monday, Craig said he regretted his guilty plea.

"At the time of this incident, I complained to police they were misconstruing my actions," he said. "I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct."

Craig's spokesman in Boise, Sidney Smith, was uncertain if Craig's guilty plea would affect his re-election plans.

"It's too early to talk about anything about that," Smith told The Associated Press.

Idaho's minority Democratic Party said Craig should have told Idaho voters earlier, instead of nearly three months after the incident.

"The people of Idaho would have been better served if they'd heard this from the senator when it happened, rather than so long after the fact," Democrats' spokesman Chuck Oxley said.

Democrat Larry LaRocco, a former two-term U.S. House member, has declared his 2008 candidacy for Craig's seat.

Two Republicans, Lt. Gov. Jim Risch and elk rancher Rex Rammell, who clashed with Idaho in 2006 after his animals bolted from their pen and were shot by state officials, have said they'll likely run if Craig doesn't.

Idaho Republican Party Chairman Kirk Sullivan declined to comment on Craig's case, as did other GOP leaders.

"We owe it to him (Craig) to let him say what he has to say before we decide what it means or what it does not mean," said Wayne Hoffman, a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Bill Sali, R-Idaho.

Others, however, say the clock is ticking on Larry Craig's political career.

There have already been consequences for Craig: On Monday, he quit as a Senate liaison for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Idaho Republicans may next try to push him from office, said Jasper LiCalzi, a political science professor at Albertson College of Idaho. If he did leave, it would be up to Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter to name a replacement.

"It isn't a question of whether he's going to run again," LiCalzi said. "It's a question of whether he serves out his term."

http://www.theolympian.com/northwest/story/201424.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

One less speed bump on our way to immigration enforcement.

One Sell-Out down, more to go!

Dixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast