Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Indiana Rep Hill: Opponents of Health Care are Terrorists

Rep. Baron Hill is caught in crossfire on health care
    Indiana Democrat is besieged by both sides in reform debate
    By Peter Slevin / Washington Post
    Posted: August 10, 2009

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- "The war's on," says Rep. Baron Hill, D-Ind., and he's not talking about a conflict overseas. The battle over health care is in his own backyard, where thousands of people are trying to tell him what to do, some not so nicely.

Hill is a leader of the Blue Dogs, a caucus of 51 conservative Democrats whose hard-bargaining support is critical to President Barack Obama's bid to overhaul the health-care system. He came home on recess to find himself a target of groups that want to steer the August conversation and the autumn vote.
    Advertisement

These weeks are considered crucial, with Obama traveling the country and interest groups, as varied as AARP and the insurance industry, spending millions on advertising. Hill, a blunt and pragmatic politician known for moving cautiously, helped postpone a final House vote to give lawmakers time to assess attitudes at home.

Happy to oblige, the Republican National Committee is running a radio ad saying he "folded like a lawn chair" under White House pressure. Conservative opponents are accusing him of ducking honest debate. Obama supporters by the dozen are using tactics more typical of a political campaign to keep him on board.

So many people are calling and writing Hill that the telephone lines in his Bloomington office are often jammed. The phone traffic to his Capitol Hill office is so heavy that one staffer sends an e-mail when he needs to reach colleagues there. On Wednesday, Hill's office mailed 8,400 responses to voters.

One thing Hill is not doing is holding public town-hall meetings like those at which opponents have heckled members of Congress. He held at least six unannounced meetings with constituents last week and is mulling a daylong series of one-on-one meetings or a telephone conference call.

"I'm trying to control the event," Hill said, shortly before an informal discussion with a dozen business people at the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce. "What I don't want to do is create an opportunity for the people who are political terrorists to blow up the meeting and not try to answer thoughtful questions."

That decision irritates some of Hill's constituents, who have been calling his office to demand time. They are furious that he voted July 31 in the House Energy and Commerce Committee for a hefty bill that would include a government-run insurance option.

"He needs to answer the people. He voted yes. Why? Tell us why, Baron. I'm not going to hang you in effigy," said Salem pediatrician Christy Lane, who failed several times to reach Hill's Washington staff; she called the nearby Jeffersonville office instead.
    Advertisement

After a contentious first week of the House recess, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., on Sunday defended the opponents of reform who have disrupted Democrats' town hall meetings. Speaking on Fox News, he said Democratic criticism of the disruptions "may indicate some weakness in their position on the merits."

Taking another view, Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., said the angry shouting that had dominated some public meetings "isn't the democratic process" and "isn't right." He told CNN, "You know, we need to respect free speech, but we need to respect one another's right to free speech, too."

The battle of Baron Hill is developing as Obama and national groups are mustering foot soldiers and advertising dollars. Advocates have bought $500,000 of television time in the Evansville and Louisville, Ky., markets, with more than half coming from the drug industry and its allies, said Evan Tracey of the Campaign Media Analysis Group.

Allison Luthe, the Indiana coordinator for Health Care for America Now, which supports the Obama plan, said pro-reform labor unions have assigned 22 organizers to the state, including two who are hiring canvassers. In an e-mail to supporters last week, Obama said "this is the moment our movement was built for."

Hill predicts "enormous changes" in the House bill before any measure becomes law, but he said he is committed to the outlines of Obama's proposal, including a public option. He knows he will hear from critics in a politically divided district where he has won five times and lost once.

Erin Houchin, the GOP chairwoman in Hill's district, sends an e-mail at least every second day to about 150 people. In the two days before Hill's vote, she figures she generated more than 50 calls to his office and is now pushing him to hold a public forum.

Lane, the pediatrician, did not vote for Hill last time, but she said health care is not a partisan issue. Certain the public option would overwhelm the government and leave patients worse off, she persuaded fellow doctors to call or write Hill. She also said, "I Facebook a lot."
    Advertisement

"I'll post, 'Call your congressman, call your senator. They're the ones who are going to draft this bill,' " said Lane, who contends Hill violated a pledge when he supported the Energy and Commerce Committee bill, which passed on a 31-28 vote.

"They say I was against the Obama plan but voted for it? Yeah, after changes were made, I did, of course," Hill said in an interview. "What they're not telling you is that I was at the table, changing the bill to make it better, more moderate, more acceptable."

At a meeting he convened at the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, Hill defended his vote while asserting that the health-care overhaul "is still a work in progress."

"I told the president this, personally: 'You're moving too fast on this. You've got to give people a chance to catch up,' " Hill said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /908100362

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Sounds like RECALL Time to Me
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Sounds like RECALL Time to Me
    The idiots in the government don't realise that us Americans are flipping out about all this Healthcare talk and spending BECAUSE NO MATTER what 80 % or so of the country wants, these jackasses go in and VOTE AGAINST US!!

AGAINST US??? The people footing the damn BILLS!

So now, if they can't see what we think then they are BRAINDEAD and need to be voted out anyway ....

We've seen this administration RAM everything thru NOT CARING what we think!

80% of the LEGAL Americans don't want AMNESTY but we all must all bend over!
    We didn't want the FIRST Stimulus!
    We had to bend over for that too!
    We didn't want that outrageous Omnibus either!
    We had to bend over for those TOO!!!
    NOW they are talking about another STIMULUS???
    I'm bending over now!
    We sure don't want Pigalosi to get those 8 PLANES EITHER!!!
    Watch them ALL vote for it!

WELL, Mr President, MY ASS IS SORE!!!

If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris