http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hfF ... ttaM75wK4w

BUFFALO, United States (AFP) — Bills tight end Kevin Everett, who suffered a "catastrophic" spinal injury Sunday, had movement in his limbs that could signal an improved prognosis, a Buffalo television station reported Tuesday.

"We may be witnessing a minor miracle," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB-TV in a report posted on the station's website.

Cappuccino, who had said on Monday that Everett's chances of walking again were "very slim," apparently found reasons to be more optimistic on Tuesday.

According to the report, Everett was able to voluntarily move his arms and legs, and Cappuccino also noted that the MRI scan taken after the surgery showed only a small amount of swelling in the cord - both positive signs.

Everett, 25, was injured when he collided with Denver Broncos returner Domenik Hixon on the second-half kickoff in the Bills' National Football League season-opener.

Everett had emergency surgery that lasted four hours on Sunday night, during which Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated pressure on the spinal cord.

To reconfigure Everett's spine, doctors also made a bone graft and inserted a cage and a plate, held in by four screws, and inserted two small rods that are held in place by another four screws.

Meanwhile Everett's mother thanked the team and its fans for their support.

"On behalf of my son and our entire family. I want to thank the fans and everyone for their prayers, warm wishes and general thoughts about Kevin," Everett's mother Patricia Dugas said.

"I especially want to thank the hospital staff and the Bills organization for their tremendous support during this difficult and challenging time. I would ask for everyone to continue to keep Kevin in their prayers."

This story has really touched my heart My son plays high school football and this drives home the dangers. Please remember Kevin and his family in your prayers. I believe prayers are being answered.