Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Jobs That May No Longer Exist by 2014

Jobs That May No Longer Exist by 2014
    Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor

While America's job outlook is healthy and many industries are projected to grow in the coming years, there are also signs that some occupations are becoming obsolete.

The majority of the decreases are in office and administrative support and production occupations, which are affected by the implementation of office technology that reduces the needs for these workers, changes in business practices, and escalating plant and factory automation. A majority of the job openings occurring in these occupations will arise not from job growth, but from the need to replace those who transfer to other industries, retire or leave for other reasons

Here are some of the jobs expected to severely decline between now and 2014, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Farmers and Ranchers
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 155,000
    Why they're endangered: The long-term trend toward consolidation of farms into fewer and larger farms is expected to continue displacing small independent farmers.

Stock Clerks and Order Fillers
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 115,000
    Why they're endangered: The growing use of computers for inventory control and the installation of new, automated equipment are expected to inhibit growth in demand for stock clerks and order fillers, especially in manufacturing and wholesale trade industries, where operations are most easily automated.

Sewing Machine Operators
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 93,000
    Why they're endangered: Increasing imports, the use of offshore assembly and greater productivity through new automation will contribute to additional job losses.

Mail Clerks and Mail-Machine Operators
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 59,000
    Why they're endangered: The demand for such clerks will be offset by the use of electronic communications technologies and private delivery companies.

Computer Operators
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 49,000
    Why they're endangered: Advances in technology have reduced both the size and cost of computer equipment while increasing the capacity for data storage and processing automation, making systems more user-friendly and greatly reducing the need for operators.

Secretaries (Except Legal, Medical and Executive)
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 48,000
    Why they're endangered: Automated equipment is changing the distribution of work in many offices. Professionals and managers increasingly do their own word processing and data entry, and handle much of their own correspondence rather than submitting the work to secretaries and other support staff.

Telemarketers
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 42,000
    Why they're endangered: Telemarketers' employment will decrease as more people opt out of receiving telephone calls and as blocking technology improves.

Meter Readers
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 22,000
    Why they're endangered: Advances in computer, optical-scanning and voice recognition technologies and growth in automated, electronic business processes will reduce demand.

Parts Salespeople
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 16,000
    Why they're endangered: Electronic commerce ordering and reordering systems should automate much of the work of many parts salespersons.

Telephone Operators
    How many jobs are in jeopardy: 14,000
    Why they're endangered: Developments in communications technologies -- particularly voice recognition systems -- will continue to have a significant impact, and electronic communication through the Internet or e-mail provides alternatives to telephone communication and requires no operators.

Kate Lorenz is the article and advice editor for CareerBuilder.com. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.

Copyright 2006 CareerBuilder.com.

http://jobs.aol.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Telemarketers
    Why they're endangered: Telemarketers' employment will decrease as more people opt out of receiving telephone calls and as blocking technology improves.
    Sorry.....that's one I would be happy to see let go.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I see over 600,000 potential Border Patrol and ICE applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Telemarketers
    Sorry.....that's one I would be happy to see let go.

Farmers and Ranchers
    Why they're endangered: The long-term trend toward consolidation of farms into fewer and larger farms is expected to continue displacing small independent farmers.
    I'm sorry to see this. I don't think this is good for America. I also think it is part-n-parcel of the illegal immigration problem.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by AlturaCt
    Farmers and Ranchers
    I'm sorry to see this. I don't think this is good for America. I also think it is part-n-parcel of the illegal immigration problem.
    Altura, I agree with you. The ranchers out here are having a harder and harder time making ends meet. I see it as tragic.

Yep, and thanks to NAIS, ranchers and farmers across the country will have a hard time surviving. The only ones who will benefit is big agribusiness.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

It is tragic CW.

Yes jp I agree- the NAIS should be fought tooth and nail. We need small farmers and ranchers. Whatever it cost. These folks are some of the people that have been our backbone. They are much of what made America great. American farmers who care about America not some international conglomerate who could give a damn. Folks like to espouse capitalism & "free markets" and in it's truest sense I do too at least the idea of open markets but there isn't anything free market about our whole farming system. The government needs to get the hell out of farming and let markets take care of themselves. They have done what they could to help international big business take over food production. In addition to other things I think that as a country that leaves us vulnerable.

The NAIS is nothing but Big Brother with the help of big business. I don't care what safety cliché of the day they protest with. I don't trust them one bit with this whole thing.

They want to be able to track every cow in the country but we know nothing about where 12 million illegal immigrants are!?!?!?!?!?!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Banned
    The NAIS is alot worse than that, guys. I've done a little looking into it and it's quite Orwellian. They want to RFID tag EVERY ANIMAL EVERYWHERE!

Example: You decide you want keep a couple of laying hens in your backyard because you like the idea of fresh eggs. You have 1 rooster and 4 hens. All 5 birds MUST be RFID 'chipped'. The premises must be 'registered' by GPS coordinates. If your rooster flies out of your yard you must write a report. When that rooster comes back you must write another report. The fine for non-compliance is $1,000.00, per ANIMAL.

Example: Your child has a horse. You take it to the 4-H show. Not only must you write a report of when and where you took your horse off of the property, you must include in that report the RFID chip numbers of EVERY OTHER ANIMAL your horse was stabled with.

Example: You buy your Mom a cockatiel. As an exotic bird, it also must be chipped and the premises registered by GPS.

You all realize that GPS coordinates make satellite observation as easy as point and click, right?

Like I said, VERY Orwellian.

So with all of these jobs on the outs. What in the world will people do to live and support their families?
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast