The reason I am posting this is we have no idea who is coming across any of our borders and the Federal Government has gotten to permissive with your health

Op-Ed Columnist
A Killer Without Borders

An Armenian doctor showing chest x-rays used to track a patient's tuberculosis that has been resistant to drug therapy.

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: December 6, 2008
YEREVAN, Armenia

As if you didn’t have enough to worry about ... consider the deadly, infectious and highly portable disease sitting in the lungs of a charming young man here, Garik Hakobyan. In effect, he’s a time bomb.

Garik Hakobyan, 34, an artist, carries an ailment, XDR-TB, an incurable form of tuberculosis.

Mr. Hakobyan, 34, an artist, carries an ailment that stars in the nightmares of public health experts — XDR-TB, the scariest form of tuberculosis. It doesn’t respond to conventional treatments and is often incurable.

XDR-TB could spread to your neighborhood because it isn’t being aggressively addressed now, before it rages out of control. It’s being nurtured by global complacency.

When doctors here in Armenia said they would introduce me to XDR patients, I figured we would all be swathed in protective clothing and chat in muffled voices in a secure ward of a hospital. Instead, they simply led me outside to a public park, where Mr. Hakobyan sat on a bench with me.

“It’s pretty safe outside, because his coughs are dispersed,â€