Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Largest Measles Outbreak in 7 Years in the US

U.S. Faces Largest Measles Outbreak in Seven Years as Kids Head to Camp
    By KATE BARRETT
    May 2, 2008

RSS They're getting ready to pack their bags and head to camp. But as kids prepare to share close quarters, there's something parents should know: The United States is facing its largest measles outbreak in seven years -- and measles spreads fast.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the biggest measles outbreak in seven years is under way.

After someone with measles coughs or sneezes, the virus lingers for up to two hours after that person walks away.

"The thing about measles is that it's extremely contagious," said Anne Schuchat, director of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. "Somebody could get measles without ever having been in the office at the same time as the first child."

The CDC Thursday announced a series of measles outbreaks between January and April 25 that resulted in 64 measles cases in the United States -- the highest number reported in the same time period since 2001. Officials blame a spike in the number of travelers bringing measles in from Israel and Europe. Once in the United States, measles has been able to take hold because more and more people are choosing not to get vaccinated, Schuchat said.

Eleven of the U.S. residents who contracted measles were between the ages of 5 and 19 years old.

"My suggestion would be that summer camps oblige all foreign students to be immunized," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of the department of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University's School of Medicine in Tennessee.

As for American students spending the summer away from home? "Clearly they ought to have their immunization status completely reviewed," he said.

What to Look For

A rash, high fever, runny nose, cough and red, watery eyes are all symptoms of the measles, according to the CDC.

But for parents and camp counselors, that could look a lot like other problems as well.

Fortunately, Schnaffer said there are other distinguishing symptoms, including a "very, very characteristic" rash that starts on a person's trunk and spreads to the limbs, face and the neck. Upon closer observation, doctors also see tiny white spots on the inside of the infected person's mouth.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story? ... 492&page=1
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

After someone with measles coughs or sneezes, the virus lingers for up to two hours after that person walks away.
    Wonder how long TB lingers.

In public, I avoid and get away from people that are coughing! That's the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Wonder how long TB lingers.

In public, I avoid and get away from people that are coughing! That's the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Dixie
    So do I. My son is away at college and one of the students had TB so everyone had to be tested and treated as a precaution. I'm willing to bet that student (although not publicly identified) was a foreigner. That's what happens when people are allowed to come into/ remain in this country unscreened

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

CNN tried to blame it on Homeschooled kids...what a bunch of idiots...I found myself screaming at the TV...that measles has come from another Country...but the will never admit from South of the Border, not from their precious illegal crowd...oh my...it must be evil home school parents or Europeans....yeah right...keep trying CNN maybe someone will believe you...if you say it long enough
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I am surprised as many states or counties require immunization for a child to go to school. As for universities, if you are an internation student you are requierd to have immunization. Unless the schools turn a blind eye to illegals and if that is the case we really need to worry.
    As for coughing, I see alot of non English speakers in South Florida coughing and I wonder if it is TB. I shop in areas where there are few of them and if I can't then I go first thing when the store opens or close to closing time.

The USA is now just one big petrie dish!

My son's 4th bithday is tomarrow and after hearing this story I'm am immediately getting his shots this week.

Do they offer shots in the 3rd world?? Parents need to be educated on vacination. I know alot of controversery around autism linked to themisol, the perservative in the shots, but it's only in flu shots now as far as all the reports I've heard.

This is one of the MAJOR REASONS WE NEED CONTROL OF OUR BORDERS!!!!! Everyone planning to reside in America needs to have a health check as well as a background check!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    The USA is now just one big petrie dish!
    I take this matter very seriously but this? is comedic gold

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    Do they offer shots in the 3rd world?? Parents need to be educated on vacination. I know alot of controversery around autism linked to themisol, the perservative in the shots, but it's only in flu shots now as far as all the reports I've heard.
    As far as I know, they don't require any type of vacinnation. There are so many 3rd world religions that forbid them or are just too poor to care about the health of their people, which is why we are no the reciprocal for all of the disease carried by those who cross our borders. I would like to think that those who come here and overstay their visas have been tested prior to being allowed to enter. In light of the fact that our borders are porous and security so lax even that is highly doubtful. Remember the guy who borded all those flights with TB?

This is one of the MAJOR REASONS WE NEED CONTROL OF OUR BORDERS!!!!! Everyone planning to reside in America needs to have a health check as well as a background check!!!
    Dead on!