Tea Party to rally against ‘BoehnerCare’ over fight to defund healthcare law

By Lara Seligman - 08/26/13 12:51 PM ET

Tea Party activists are planning a rally outside Speaker John Boehner’s (R) Ohio office on Tuesday, vowing they will rebrand President Obama’s healthcare reform law “BoehnerCare" if he does not get behind a conservative effort to defund the legislation.

“If he funds it, he will own it,” said Janet Porter, president of Faith2Action, one of the groups scheduled to participate in the rally, according to The Washington Times.Boehner, along with congressional GOP leaders like Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), has yet to voice support for the effort.

A group of right-wing lawmakers vowed before the August recess to block any spending bills that would also fund the law, risking a government shutdown after Sept. 30.

Republicans have routinely labeled the law “ObamaCare.” The president and most of the public have embraced the term.

Conservative radio host Mark Levin used the term “BoehnerCare” on his nationally syndicated radio program last week.

“Rather than calling it ObamaCare, we should call it BeohnerCare” if the Speaker follows through with the current plan to fund the law in the upcoming continuing resolution that funds the government, Levin said.

“So I think I’m going to call it BoehnerCare if I can remember from time to time, certainly more often, because Boehner won’t even fight. Boehner, he’s just – is the word 'pathetic' appropriate?”

Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...are-on-tuesday