Outcome Of Massachusetts Senate Race May Affect Healthcare Debate In Congress

January 18, 2010 by Personal Liberty News Desk

The current battle brewing in Massachusetts for an open senate seat has taken on national implications as conservatives have begun to fear that if Republican candidate Scott Brown wins the special election tomorrow, Senate Democrats will stall the certification process until after the final vote on healthcare reform.

State Senator Brown is currently in a contested battle with Democratic Attorney General Martha Coakley over the senate seat left vacant by Democrat Edward Kennedy, who passed away last year.

If elected, Brown has vowed to vote against the healthcare bill and "send it back to the drawing board." The Massachusetts State Senator could account for the 41st vote opposing the legislation, meaning he could prevent Democrats from breaking a Republican filibuster against the bill.

"When I heard … the machine, not only locally but nationally, is trying to manipulate the process and make sure that if I’m elected, a duly elected senator, I can’t be seated in an effort to vote on this important piece of national legislation, it made me almost sick to my stomach," said Brown, quoted by Fox News.

President Obama conveyed the importance of the Jan. 19 vote in a fundraising email, stating that "the outcome of this race could not be more important," quoted by The New York Times.

http://www.personalliberty.com/news/out ... -19554011/