Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

McCain Calls for a Stop to Push Polling

McCain Calls for a Stop to Push Polling
    By JIM DAVENPORT – Huckabee denied any involvement.

NEWBERRY, S.C. (AP) — White House hopeful John McCain on Saturday called on Republican rival Mike Huckabee to end push polling in New Hampshire tied to his presidential campaign's supporters, but Huckabee denied any involvement.

McCain said he learned Saturday afternoon of calls made Friday on Huckabee's behalf in New Hampshire.

If an ally of his was doing that, "I would ask him to stop it immediately and take those things down. And I hope that Mike Huckabee will do the same," McCain said by phone as he traveled between campaign stops in South Carolina.

McCain said his campaign had told him Common Sense Issues had been making calls on behalf of the former Arkansas governor. He described it as nonprofit "supporter of Huckabee's for soft money."

"I don't have that hard information, but that's what I've been told it is," McCain said. It "is one of those organizations funded by Huckabee supporters and I would ask him to have them take it down just as if somebody was doing those things on my behalf I would have them take them down."

Huckabee responded to McCain's comments Saturday, saying he has had no involvement with push polling and deplores the practice.

"As I've said before, our campaign has nothing to do with push polling and I wish they would stop. We don't want this kind of campaigning because it violates the spirit of our campaign. I want to become president because I am the best candidate, not because I disabled the other candidates," Huckabee said in a statement released by his campaign.

McCain's New Hampshire campaign vice chairman Chuck Douglas said Saturday the campaign heard about the calls Friday night and that they were paid for by a pro-Huckabee group. In a prepared statement, Douglas said the calls were "designed to disparage John McCain in an effort to advance Governor Huckabee's campaign."

McCain supporter Bernie Campbell said he got a call from a Virginia number Friday night and was asked about his positions on gay marriage and abortion through an automated voice response system.

When he said he supported McCain, "they continued to ask me a number of questions regarding negative aspects of my candidate and asked if they changed my opinion," Campbell said. "Things like, 'You know, Senator McCain's campaign finance reform limits the ability of right to life groups to get their message out. Does that change your opinion about Senator McCain?"

Campbell said he was also asked whether he knew McCain didn't support a federal amendment to the Constitution banning same-sex marriages.

At the end, Campbell said the message said it was paid for by "Common Sense something."

McCain's campaign said Common Sense Issues is a nonprofit group that is financed and run by Huckabee supporters and is waging a pro-Huckabee campaign in Iowa.

A month ago, McCain asked the New Hampshire attorney general to investigate calls to voters that raised questions about rival Mitt Romney's Mormon faith but sounded favorable for McCain.

In push polling, people get calls that sound like an objective poll trying to measure public opinion. However, the questions end up casting candidates in harsh light in an attempt to persuade voters to support other candidates. In Romney's case, the callers were asked if they knew Romney was a Mormon; that he received military deferments when he served as a Mormon missionary in France; that his five sons did not serve in the military; that Romney's faith did not accept blacks as bishops into the 1970s and that Mormons believe the Book of Mormon is superior to the Bible.

McCain, who said his campaign had nothing to do with that round of calls, said it was disgraceful and broke New Hampshire law.

An investigation by the New Hampshire attorney general's office is continuing, but the agency said earlier this week it was not ready to release findings.

Without push polls what would Celinda Lake and Roy Tarrant do for a job.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Without push polls what would Celinda Lake and Roy Tarrant do for a job.
    Telemarketing schemes involving drugs for ED and timeshares no doubt.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Banned
    For any one that doesnt know what a push poll is:

A push poll is a technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll. In a push poll, large numbers of respondents are contacted, and little or no effort is made to collect and analyze response data. Instead, the push poll is a form of telemarketing masquerading as a poll...

LOL ive been lucky no calls here from any political campaigns so far