Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Media: We Are Totally Confused By the Constitution

Media: We Are Totally Confused By the Constitution

January 8, 2011
    constitution-dumpster

Dahlia Lithwick’s recent piece in Slate had me cringing almost immediately when she mashed this out from her keyboard:

the Constitution is always going to raise more questions than it answers and confound more readers than it comforts.

Frankly, I’m more dumbfounded by this statement than anything I’ve read in the crystal clear U.S. Constitution. The only thing confounding about the Constitution is that contemporary readers cannot reconcile how our current public policy and federal power both represent a substantial shift away from the original intent of the document.

That a product of an American law school can even fathom this confused view of the Constitution is troubling. Perhaps law schools should insist that their students take some remedial classes in American legal and political history as part of their JDs. After all, this is a question of compact theory and the enumerated powers of the federal government. Then again, overly creative lawyers are generally the problem regarding our public policy gone wild and increasing destruction of federalism, so I’m obviously the idiot here for expecting a lawyer, or a law school, to denounce the legal cash cow publicly.

And then there’s this:

It’s because the Constitution wasn’t written to reflect the views of any one American.

I’m not sure what the relevance of this statement is. It makes no difference whatsoever if the constitution was written to reflect the views of one, two, 17, or 3,000,000 Americans; the document simply states the basic powers given to the newly formed federal government. This isn’t complicated, unless you’re a lawyer for whom “complicatedâ€

Slate's "experts" sometimes seem to be functioning at the same level as sports talk show hosts. Their "analysis" is simply statements which might generate responses. If these folks actually know anything, they're doing a good job of keeping to themselves.

That is a good post kathyet
    And I believe the last two Supreme Court Justices were saying about the same thing of our Constitution (that it was outdated). Which in my opinion makes them justices dangerous in our System of government.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Why am I not surprised?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

There's always been a certain significant but minority that's confused about the US Constitution, because this minority believes in things outside the Constitution. As that minority grows both in numbers and in power, they are the enemy within that will destroy our country without ever even knowing why they wanted to.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There's always been a certain significant minority that's confused about the US Constitution, because this minority believes in things outside the Constitution. As that minority grows both in numbers and in power, they are the enemy within that will destroy our country without ever even knowing why they wanted to.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn