By RICK ALBIN

LANSING - The fiscal crisis the state is in has gotten worse. In less than three weeks, the budget shortfall estimates grew from $800 million to $1 billion - and the current fiscal year is already four months old.

Tuesday, House members went through Budget Boot Camp, a chance to talk about spending and cutting revenue, a chance to share some ideas.

"Well, I think there were a lot of ideas in the room," said Rep. Doug Bennett (D-Muskegon.) "Nobody wanted to put their name to any of them."

That may be the problem. No one is exactly sure or currently willinig to say how the budget problem should be fixed. Can 10 percent or more be cut from the general fund?

"Going forward, it would be a 25 percent cut in revenue sharing payments to local communities," said Sen. Mark Schauer (D-Battle Creek.) "Safe to say that would mean massive layoffs, probably, I expect, hitting areas like public safety." He continued, "Overall, sort of a 10 percent cut in that way would cut about 5000 state employees."

Could schools see a $200+ per-student cut in the middle of their fiscal year?

"Personally," said Rep. Bill Huizenga (R-Zeeland), "I've signed on to a bill that would pull it out of the general fund and keep the school aid fund whole. So now, we create a $377 million problem on the general fund side."

No one is stepping forward to say raising taxes is the answer.

Next Tuesday, after a Blue Ribbon Panel - including former governors William Milliken and Jim Blanchard - studied the economy for Gov. Jennifer Granholm, she'll lay out her vision for Michigan. It's presumed the speech will include suggestions for balancing the budget.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp? ... 7&nav=0Rce