Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mo Brooks on political rally to make Senate runoff: ‘Call me Lazarus’

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mo Brooks on political rally to make Senate runoff: ‘Call me Lazarus’

Mo Brooks on political rally to make Senate runoff: ‘Call me Lazarus’

Updated: May. 25, 2022, 12:48 p.m. | Published: May. 24, 2022, 11:30 p.m.

By Paul Gattis | pgattis@al.com

Mo Brooks gave a thunderous victory speech Tuesday night, a fiery oration as he claimed a spot in a runoff in the Alabama Republican Senate primary that seemed all but impossible two months ago.
    “Two months ago, the experts declared our campaign was dead in the water,” Brooks said. “Today, I guess, call me Lazarus.”
    The spectacular rally came after his support plummeted to about 12 percent in independent polling in March followed by former President Donald Trump withdrawing his endorsement.
    Two months later, Brooks sailed into the June 21 runoff – albeit a distant second to Katie Britt – with about 29% percent of the vote with more than 82% of the vote in.

Brooks emerged shortly after 10 p.m. to address about 200 supporters at the ballroom at the Huntsville Botanical Garden, his resurrected campaign confirmed with, according to Brooks, a conceding phone call from Mike Durant – his rival to edge for second place behind the front running Britt.
    Now Brooks said he and Durant are united against Britt’s nomination. The former chief of staff for U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby as well as president of the Business Council of Alabama grabbed the overwhelming plurality with about 45% of the vote.
    Durant, who finished third with about 23%, said on the eve of the election that he would support Brooks in a runoff.
    “Neither of us want Katie Britt to serve a day in the United States Senate, because we believe that she lacks the honor and integrity that is necessary for service of our country,” Brooks said. “And in a position as important as that of the United States Senator. She would fit perfectly in with the United States Congress as we have it now.
    “So, by golly, if you like the way Congress is operating, then vote for Katie Britt, because she’s gonna fit right in there. She’ll be a debt junkie that’s a free-wheeling spender, not caring one iota about deficit and debt, who will be like John McCain in 2016, who campaigned to repeal Obamacare. But in 2017, when his vote counted, gave the thumbs down and prevented us from having the votes.”
    Brooks leaned hard into his resurrected campaign after his address to supporters.
    “I’m feeling great, you know, having risen from the dead,” Brooks told a gaggle of reporters. “We had one scenario I really wanted to put out, but my campaign team kind of crushed it. We were going to have some pallbearers and I was going to be in a casket and they were going to bring it out there and I was going to pop up alive again -- not dead as the pundits had projected just a few short weeks ago.”
    The Trump issue, of course, will return to the race now that it’s entered a runoff. Brooks said that while Trump is free to do what he wants, he did not expect he would give his support to Britt. Brooks also pointed to the fact that Trump and McConnell have butted heads during his post-presidency.
    “No, I’m not,” Brooks said when asked if he was worried that Trump would back Britt. “And the reason I’m not worried is because I don’t think that Donald Trump wants an open borders, Mitch McConnell lackey in the United States Senate. But I have no control over that. Donald Trump has every right to do whatever he wants to do, whenever he wants to do in whatever way he wants to do it. And I respect his right to express his opinion as he wishes.”
    In his speech, Brooks blistered Britt as the pro-tax candidate who is linked to Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell – whose political action committee contributed $2 million in April to an anti-Brooks super PAC.
    Brooks and McConnell have long been enemies with McConnell working in 2017 against Brooks’ candidacy in the special Senate election and Brooks branding his campaign stops the “Fire McConnell” tour.
    “Mitch McConnell’s team bragged openly -- openly -- that they had already spent $2 million attacking me and backed Katie Britt,” Brooks said. “They’re not even trying to hide anymore like they normally do. Katie Britt is Mitch McConnell’s candidate and they want to make sure I’m never in the Senate. More than that, they want to tell Alabama conservatives who to vote for. Is this what we want?”
    From the crowd in the ballroom, one voice rose in response to Brooks’ question.
    “We want you, Mo.”

https://www.al.com/news/2022/05/mo-b...e-lazarus.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hope Mo Brooks wins in Alabama. Katie Britt is backed by many less than conservative Republicans, most supporting amnesty. I was disappointed that Congressman Brooks voted for the forty billion dollars to Ukraine where money laundering and corruption is rampant.

America is in crisis. Those billions are needed here by taxpayers and citizens to better their lives and to build secure borders.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 05-26-2022 at 12:06 AM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)