For the moms
(http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article)

May 12, 2007

By RYAN PAGELOW Rpagelow@scn1.com

ROUND LAKE -- While many families are preparing for Sunday brunches with their mothers, Mexican Americans got a head start on Mother's Day on Thursday.

Unlike in the U.S. where the date floats to the second Sunday in May, Mexicans celebrate their moms May 10, regardless of the day of the week it falls. In many Mexican-American families where moms are the boss, the day is a big deal and can't wait until Sunday.

With the idea that the best way to celebrate mothers is to acknowledge the achievements of their kids, the Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee at in the Round Lake Unit School District gave out awards Thursday night to nearly 150 students in the English Language Learners program for their academic achievement, perfect attendance or citizenship.

The night devoted to Mother's Day also included elementary students performing traditional Mexican dances from Veracruz and Durango and singing popular songs like "Cielito Lindo".

The Round Lake High School Theater was packed with more than 250 people, the largest meeting of bilingual parents in the district this year. Mothers were given small flower corsages to wear and local Latino businesses donated gift certificates and telephone cards to raffle.

"Mother's Day is a big deal in Mexico," said Myrna Leal, parent coordinator in the district. "A good way to congratulate the mothers is to give awards to their kids."

Olga Garces, vice president of the Bi-PAC, said in Mexico mothers are often serenaded with maƱanitas songs over the phone or outside by family as early as 5 a.m. on Mother's Day.

"For me, today my husband is cooking dinner. My kids also gave me a present this morning," said Garces who is originally from Guerrero, Mexico.

Carmen Jacobo, who is president of the Bi-PAC, said a friend called her at 7 a.m. to sing her maƱanitas. She said all the Mexican-American mothers were wishing each other happy Mother's Day when they dropped their kids off at school Thursday morning.

"It's a good way to recognize mothers," Jacobo said. "It's a pleasure to see so many parents here tonight."

It was the first time the district held a Mother's Day event for bilingual parents since she joined the committee in 2002, she said. There are about 1,580 students in the English Language Learners program in District 116.