The most obvious story on General McChrystal

By Kay Daly
June 24, 2010 10:34 AM
13 Comments

Watching the ousting of General Stanley McChrystal yesterday, I had a mixture of feelings that pretty much centered around nausea and malaise.

Yes, yes, I know that the Commander-in-Chief is the Commander-in-Chief and our military will only survive with an unyielding chain of command and absolute order. And yes, President Obama probably did the right thing by firing Gen. McChrystal.

But I can't help but believe that this isn't the real story in this story.

Stan McChrystal is no dummy. Does anyone really believe that he wouldn't know how to deal with any member of the press, much less a Rolling Stone reporter? Maybe the heat in Afghanistan got to him and he forgot the whole chain of command deal? Perhaps you believe that McChrystal didn't know that he would lose his command for such a spewing of personal opinions on his Commander in Chief and the CIC's political buddies?

Really?

My Dad, who was in the OSS in WWII, always told me that when it comes to situations like this, the most obvious story is the one that is most likely not true.

So what is the most obvious story here? That a well-seasoned, highly decorated, battle-experienced General was taken down by a Rolling Stone magazine reporter?

Or did this General fall on his proverbial sword to get the truth of the situation out?

A majority of the most heroic stories you could possibly imagine, you will never hear about. Unbelievable sacrifices have been made by extraordinary, but anonymous people to keep our nation free. That is actually the way they want it and they go to great lengths to make sure their secrets are kept.

So where are all the industrious reporters who are working on the real story? The story of incompetence, ineptitude and impotence on such a rampant scale in the political entities tapped with managing the Afghanistan situation that our soldiers lives are in tremendous jeopardy and our mission there is in grave danger.... Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

http://www.gopusa.com/fresh-ink/2010/06 ... rystal.php