Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

  1. #1
    Senior Member crazybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Joliet, Il
    Posts
    10,175

    Mother, son die in Cicero fire, 2 kids hurt

    Mother, son die in Cicero fire; 2 kids hurt

    October 4, 2006
    FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS
    A fire in the first-floor bedroom of a bungalow in Cicero killied a 41-year-old mother and her 6-year-old son and hospitalized two children early Wednesday. Candles were found in the bedroom, according to town officials.

    The dead were identified as Raquel Perez and Cesar Camacho, of the 1800 block of South 57th Avenue, Cicero, according to a Cook County Medical Examiner’s office spokesman. Perez was pronounced dead at 3:55 a.m. at the Stein Institute, while Cesar was pronounced dead there at 3:48 a.m., the spokesman said.

    The Cicero Fire Department responded to the fire at a two-story frame bungalow at the 1800 block of South 57th Avenue at 12:23 a.m., Cicero police Cmdr. David Ciancio said.


    “There were candles in the bedroom; whether or not they had anything to do with starting the fire is unclear,’’ Cicero town spokesman Dan Proft said. Raquel Perez had at least one other son living there who escaped safely, said Proft.


    He said 12 people -- six adults and six minors -- were living in the home, including the mother and son who were killed. When firefighters arrived, everyone had gotten out except the mother and son, who were found in a first-floor bedroom, said Proft. Two children are being treated at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn, suffering from smoke inhalation, said Proft. Their conditions were not life-threatening, he said.


    The 12 residents who lived there weren't all related, Proft said.


    He said a smoke detector closest to the bedroom where the fire began didn't have batteries.


    There was another smoke detector in the basement that also had no batteries, but a working smoke detector on the second floor alerted the others, said Proft.


    The bedroom where the mother and son were found was gutted by the fire, and there was also damage to the adjacent kitchen, said Proft.


    As of 8 a.m., Proft said the cause of the fire wasn't determined.


    Catholic Charities is helping the surviving residents find a place to stay.


    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8288 ... 04.article
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Newmexican's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    35,837
    Catholic Charities is helping the surviving residents find a place to stay.
    I'll bet they are. Catholic Charities has many of the contracts for the management of HUD subsidized housing that is intended for low income citizens and elderly.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •