Thread: My Daughter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My Daughter

Talked to her tonight. Ask for attention of other parents on this.

My daughter is an honor role student in Florida. Every single program she has strived to be a part of they have cancelled. Tonight she called and they told them TODAY.......you have to pay a "walk fee". I'm like walk fee to school.....what? 60 dollar "walk fee" to get to walk across the graduation stage to get your diploma. Not to mention parents have to pay for tickets to see your child walk across the stage to get their diploma. I did it for my oldest.....they walked across the indoor "ocean center".....maybe that's not the name....put it this way, famous people play there, it's and enclosed venue. 2 family members only. Fine. Now my next daughter has to pay to cross the stage at the fair grounds.....and parents have to pay for tickets that the Beatles would ask for....to trudge through mud and dirt. They have gone from free material gowns to pay yourself for tissue gowns and now to this. My diploma was in a nice padded leather and ribbon encasement. My daughters get a photo copy of a bad deal wrapped in nothing and a rubber band for flavor.....and pay this much for it. Why pay for this ? 60 + 50 + 50.... just to get the paper you earned and 2 people to witness?

Not to mentio the 150.00 fee for the disposible graduation gown and hat you are not allowed to keep and the required dress for underneath it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A paper gown? OMG. I am so sorry crazybird. Paper? I am speechless. And all those fees....you already pay taxes which is suppose to pay for things like this. This is very tragic to cheapen graduation ceremonies like this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This one takes the cake! Utterly ridiculous!

Every day this world gets even more insane. I'm so very sorry crazybird.

Good Lord!! Things have sure changed...and not for the better.

My goddaughter at FSU has refused to walk, but is having her diploma mailed to her. Her mom will not be able to afford to go up to Tallahassee nor will she or mom be able to afford the hundreds of dollars for the ceremony. And while they call it commencement, commencement is the start or beginning, not the end.

oh boy sounds pretty cheep
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

Well, it's the diploma that counts-not the ceremony. Kinda like getting married, I guess - It's not all about that one day, but the rest of your life that matters.

Did that help? Ok, didn't think so.

It has gone cheap.....and no kidding paper. A little more stylish but not all that much different than an exam gown. Same with the hat. a cardboard square covered in paper with some elastic in back.

They have made proms so expensive you'd think it was a wedding and then now ruining graduation......making alot of the memorable transitions all about the money. They have their graduation photos taken in a real gown, but it's paper for the real deal. Even then they don't give you your real diploma. You have to go back to school and pick it up like a week or so later.....gotta make sure you didn't toss your hat at graduation ( a big no-no) or owe the school any money.......

It's just sad to see all the things that were special be ruined. Anything that was supposed to be the reward has now been dumbed down and expensive to be a part of. I sort of understood the fee for the Ocean Center, because they have to rent it......but the fair grounds? There aren't bleachers or anything there.....will be interesting to see how they do that. It has her bummed and alot of her friends are saying forget it. They have hung in through the programs that have been cancelled and most could graduate early, but didn't because of the ceremony....and well now their attitude is forget it.....there's a program through the Jr. College for honor students where they can finish whats left of highschool and take college courses at the same time and be ahead of the game. I just get ticked when I see so much be ruined for our kids and they wonder why they drop out and don't care.